shouldn't the teacher have informed me about this....

My daughter is in grade 1, and she told me today that her and one other boy in her class had to leave to go with a different teacher to get help with reading..which is AWESOME, i am not complaining AT ALL...but I would've thought that the teacher should have told me this was going to be happening..I see her teacher every morning, and every afternoon..allll the kids have a planner so that the teacher and parents can communicate (i have to sign it every night) i just think its odd that she didnt tell me..

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in

• I think it's odd too, but glad she is going.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Just remember that you are getting this information from a 1st grader :) Ask the teacher about it, it may not be exactly what your DD said it was. (My DD is 11 and I still get info from her that isn't always 100% reliable!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Communication should be first priority when it comes to your child.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would wait a bit. If it was really serious the teacher would have told you.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Maybe all the kids are going out one day a week to get specialized help? Maybe they had a volunteer for the day and thought your child would benefit from it. I think if it's a regular occurrence, you should be informed, but if it was just a one time thing, no I wouldn't expect the teacher to inform you. But if you're concerned, of course contact the teacher!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well if its a class wide thing they should've called to inform u if it is something that can improve ur child in their progress of learning.
    AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Answer by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 7:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Completely agree with Tori. My daughter Kindergareten class pulls kids out here and there to focus some one on one attention when it comes to reading. It is not ones that are struggling, it is not even usually planned it is just when a volunteer has a little extra time to work with the little ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• best thing to do is ask the teacher :) you just never know. It may be something small & normal for the class.. Also know that going to school, alot of things can go on without parents knowing.. For about 3mo. 2-3x a week i was taken out of gym class to talk to a counselor about some stuff that was going on.. my parents where NEVER informed i was getting counseling at school.. im 27 & really no one knows about it still.. As a parent now, that kinda freaks me out!!

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Chances are the reading teacher will send a letter home if she wishes to CONTINUE seeing your child. Where I taught that is how it worked. The reading teacher would read with some students. If she felt they could benefit from her services, then she sent a letter home requesting permission to see the child on a regular basis. If she did not feel a student needed her services, nothing was sent home, for such students would not be pulled to read with her again.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Teachers are busy and human. She may have forgotten. Since you are now somewhat informed by your child try asking the teacher to see what the deal is.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2010