If we were given a boil water advisory do we still have to boil it before we drink it if we have a filter?

I don't think so..but just double checkin

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Health

• That's one I haven't thought about. I would though, but the water supply freaks me out anyway, so that's just me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I wouldnt think so but im sure boiling takes out more bacteria than a filter. Especially if its something the fliter may not be made for preventing. Def boil. Better to be safe then sorry. Where do youlive that makes you have to boil the water anyway?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes! Unless you have a filter that kills bacteria (most do not, they filter impurities out, bacteria flows right through!), you have to boil. If the contaminated water has been run through your filter, you should replace that as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• YES! unless you have an RO filter, you definitely need to boil it!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What is boiling preventing?
    In your town that is
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• we had a water line bust thats all..they said to boil it for 24 hours just to be safe. I'm not even wanting to drink it but i'm only asking because i want my coffee in the morning. I know we have the filter on the faucet and then of course the coffee pot also has a filter..i wonder if that would be enough....i really don't feel like boiling my coffee water before making coffee..too much work for so early in the morning
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• YES!!! A filter only filters out sediment and impurities and such
    It will not get rid of the diseases in the water
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• boil some the night before and put it in a pitcher that way you dont have to get up extra early to boil water for your coffee.
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Depending on what bacteria got into the water, if you look up cryptosporidium you will find a lot of information of bacteria in the water. A few years ago in Milwaukee WI the water was infected with this and people had to boil the water before using it, Thousands of people died from this. I wouldn't take any chances. I remember that event and so many people were so sick. Either don't be lazy and boil the water, or don't drink the coffee. I don't think it is worth risking it, at least not for me as I have seen first hand what can happen from tainted water.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ohhh..what about brushing our teeth..is it that serious? will we be okay as long as we are spitting the water out when we brush?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010