my son won't keep anything down.

my son is two months old. he woke up at about 130 this morning and was hungry. he ate about 6 ounces, i burped him and laid him back down. about 5 minutes later he threw up. i picked him up he burped again and after another 5 minutes he threw up again. i made him a small 4 ounce bottle since he threw everything up. he drank all that and the second i sat him up to burp him he threw up again. since 130 he's thrown up five times. i don't know why he won't keep anything down. my husband thinks he's just tired but to me that makes no sense. he's asleep now but hasn't had anything to eat since about 8 this evening. i'm a little worried. he has no temperature though.

mamakitty86

Asked by mamakitty86 at 3:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2 months and six ounces you are over feeding him my daughter drinks that much and she is 11 months try 2 or 3 ounces..when my daughter was newborn i overfed her cause my biggest fear was her starving and she would throw up like crazy and its not healthy to keep up so give him smaller doses and you should be fine if that dosent work ake him to he ER bu dont freak yet
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 3:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Don't let him get dehydrated , stay off the breast milk or formula and try giving him Pedilite it's an electrolite for infants . Good luck
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 5:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Six ounces does sound like a lot for a 2 month old
    Cut his feedings back to 2-3 ounces at a time even if you have to feed every 2 hours for awhile.
    Burp him more often, make sure he gets a burp out before you feed him more.
    He may need to sit up in a swing or reclining seat for awhile after feedings to help the food digest.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 5:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/vomit.html great advice on giving small amounts and slowly building back up.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well, 6 oz may be a lot for some babies but my son was at 6 oz at 2 months so alll babies are different. I would try giving him some time then give him a little more keep him sitting up for a while after eating. try to burp after every 2 oz. if this keeps up call the dr!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 8:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• YOUR FEEDING YOUR KID WAY TO MUCH.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 8:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Switch formulas! If your baby is used to having 6 oz. bottles, then there's no reason he should be throwing up. Dilute the formula more, or try Similac Alimentum. His little tummy might just not be able to handle the formula you're using, and Alimentum can really help with that. After a week on it, my son was able to drink like a pro!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• yes switch formulas. i had to get new carpeting twice when my daughter was an infant she was throwing up so much. she is now on Zyrtec for gurd. she's seven yrs old now and dosn't throw up any more, thank goodness, but occasionally has awful belly aches. It may be the sugar content in the formula. As far as feeding him too much, he'll stop sucking when he's had enough, he's not a fish( they keep eating as long as there is food)

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Don't give an infant pedialyte! Its not for infants! If you are concerned about dehydration take him in to the doc or ER. I agree with the other posters that say you may be feeding too much at once. try smaller amounts, 2 to 3 ounces burp then wait 10 to 15 minutes if still hungry give some more.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 10:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It sounds like he's fighting a stomach virus (there's a doozie of a virus making the rounds right now). At this age, you need the advice of a pediatrician to get through it.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2008