Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Child support

My boyfriend pays child support to his ex-wife for his 18 yr old daughter in Mississippi you have to pay until they are 21 or if they are 18 and not in school, but if they are 18 and not in school you have to go back to court to have it removed, she moved out with her boyfriend over the weekend doe anyone know how much it costs to have this done??


Asked by buttonlts at 7:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 21 (11,115 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • You said he wants to make sure the money goes to his daughter? Is it just child support, or is alimony included?  If not, tell him to mail the check directly to his daughter. Also, tell him to read the support order again. Here, they have to pay to age 18, or 21 ONLY IF the child is in college.  If she's not going to school, he might not have to pay the child support.   Alimony can go on forever, unless it's spelled out differently in the support order.


    Answer by earlgrey at 3:08 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

  • Talk to the local child support enforcement agency. Here in Ohio, we can get it adjusted by going through them free. I know that in some states you have to go to court - but even if you do, you can file "pro se" and do your own paperwork. (The office can tell you what needs to be done).

    Answer by Scuba at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • Each state mandates different court rules and opinions. I would try to get a free answer from a local matrimonial/family attorney. If it is something you can do pro se, then I would do it. You could petition the court to terminate child support. Good luck.

    Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 4:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • it can cost the father at least thousands of dollars :/ i know with my sons father they do 800 for just little court visits because theyre still trying to get him to pay child support but he continues to refuse like the useless scum he is :/

    Answer by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 7:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • its really not YOUR business., your husband should choose what he wants to do. just my 2 cents

    Answer by katiPeas at 7:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • She said her boyfriend not husband.. I think if he wants to continue to pay why not.

    Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • he is the one that asked me to ask!!!!!! and he has paid all this time but wants the money to go to her not the ex

    Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • In Massachusetts it did not cost me anything. I went to the courthouse & filed all the paperwork

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

  • Forgot to add - court costs differ state to state. You could try checking the state's government website. If you file papers yourself, without a lawyer, it costs less.


    Answer by earlgrey at 3:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

  • I know they have to pay until the child is out of school in Oregon. My daughter's father has to pay till she's out of high school-she will be 18 this june-but is only a junior. And then he has to pay her until she is out of college. They say that he has to keep insurance on her too-but I hate Tri-care Ins.-takes the place of Champus-so she's going to get her own insurance through her job.

    Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010