What is the difference between a shirt and a blouse?

My husband asks why I never buy blouses. I tell him I buy shirts....He claims that if it has no buttons and can be put on only over the head it is a shirt --and that all shirts are just a variation of T-Tunics or TeeShirts no matter what fabric it is made from.
I disagree. There is a stage between TeeShirt, and blouse. What it is I'm not sure.
Any ideas?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 7:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I always thought that a blouse was a button down the front shirt, sort of a dressy look. Anything that doesn't fit that mold, to me, would be a shirt.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• A blouse is most commonly in a button up form, however they are some that are pull over. You would wear a blouse to an event that called for a more professional or formal dress code., not a shirt.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• But I have a button down shirt that I consider a shirt because it is plaid. I would not call a plaid shirt a blouse. Blouse I think of silks, flowy, never made of cotton. I think it's a material thing for me- that's how I decide whether to call it a shirt or blouse.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• A blouse is much more expensive to dry clean than a shirt!

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010