• In the Spotlight:

Autism genetics?

Honest question not a fight!

If autism was caused by outside 'toxins' or 'what have you' wouldn't it effect girls and boys equally? Seems since it effects boy at a much higher rate it would be more likely genetic. .... Right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A lot of recent studies are showing that it has a lot more to do with genetics than previously thought.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I believe there is something genetic - not necessarily a trait passed from parents to children, but something within the genes that makes a child predisposed to autism. I think this is one of the things that have been used to refute the "vaccines cause autism" arguments, which have recently been pretty well squashed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Scientist have discovered an 'autism gene'. As for what they above poster stated, it is all unproven at this point. HOWEVER, it IS possible that a child may have a gene and the gene is then 'triggered' by a toxin.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• they dont know the answers yet , some kids devlelop it due to genetic issues, some as a reaction to vaccination or some other toxin, some for no reason under god that anyone can understand. so far there is no real rhyme or reason.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 7:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm pretty sure my daughter's aspergers is genetic, but there are always going to be people who believe anything but that...IE immunizations,enviromental toxins,etc......
    It really doesnt matter to me, she has it and has to live with it since there is no cure for the condition....lots of therapys and such but no cure folks!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm anti-vax, but not because of the reason you listed. Vaccinations DO NOT cause autism. They can, and do cause heavy metal poisoning, which can mimic some of the same symptoms, but when detoxed, the children improve... Ugh.

SOOO sick of hearing that line! Vaccinations are inherently dangerous, and cause many deaths each year, but to blame autism on them?

The definition of "Autism" was recently redefined to include numerous other disorders which fall within the spectrum as well- If I were to have been evaluated now, rather than 20 years ago I likely would have fallen somewhere on that spectrum as well... Instead, I was just that weird kid with an insanely high IQ.
    We still don't know what causes it, and I honestly suspect that genetics do play a very large role.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• vaccinations RARELY cause autism symptoms in children . but thre is at least ONE PROVEN DOCUMENTED CASE IN AMERICA and that girl is getting full paid benefits and support for life . they discovered she had a mitachondrial defect that combined with her vaccinations she became full blown with symptoms of autism. so it definitely CAN happen. I dont believe the hysteria most have surrounding vaccinations. having that defect is extremely extremely rare.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 7:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think the fact thatAutism and Aspergers is being correctly diagnose is why people think there are more cases. When I was in school, there were quite a few kids who were called "slow", a discipline problem or strange....but never diagnnsed with Autism--in the 1940's and 1950's. And we had friends and their relatives who were born before immunizations were even discovered who were probably Autistc but called retarded or strange,too. It seems pretty clear that it is genetic and diagnosed more often now.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my oldest has Aspergers and the more that I learn about it the more I see that my mom had to have had it it is just that back in the day nobody knew anything so they figured she was just quirky.
    Also MSG......is a neuro toxin that messes with the brain of the unborn fetus and some say that could be the reason behind the rise of Autism and for me that makes more sense since our food is loaded with it esspecially fast food
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There have been studies that have shown that males are more likely to develop the symptoms of an ASD because testosterone, the male sex hormone, makes them more susceptible to the effects of environmental toxins.
    Anonymous