im 31 weeks along and i cant get my heartburn to stop i have tryed everything including tums and mylanta. what should i do?

kiyasmommyp

Asked by kiyasmommyp at 3:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Omg I feel for you!!! I try to sip cold water to keep mine at bay...... it doesn't make it stop but it DOES make it less intense. I also eat yogurt and drink milk to help it out.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'd suggest cutting acidic things out of your diet, like juice or pizza. Figure out what's giving you heartburn, and stop eating it!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i get it from everything, right now i have it so bad it woke me up and i had to get out of bed and i have not ate or drank anything for like 5 hours.
    kiyasmommyp

Answer by kiyasmommyp at 3:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• it's not what you are eating. It is pregnancy. The muscles in your esophagus are relaxed and allow heartburn and acid reflux. I take Zantac that my doc prescribed and it is the ONLY thing that works for me so I can sleep. Look into it. It's awesome stuff! Safe for pregnancy, too.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• try to take a shot glass size of vinegar.
    it will make your heartburn go away almost instantly.
    :) ive always done it and now do it more often bc im preg too.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• try not to eat near bedtime. i noticed that always made it worse and woke me up in the middle of the night. also, drinking a glas of milk usually took it away! and stay away from acidic foods like pp said. yes the heartburn is caused by pregnancy but certian foods do make it worse!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If it is bothering you pretty bad to where you think your coughing up acid or vomiting acid your doctor can prescribe this pill for it, my best friend had to be on the pill because her heart burn was so bad. However I had it pretty bad too and I did not want any more meds seeing as to how I was on enough already lol so I had my SO go to the nearest gas station (Walmart and Meijer sell them too)and get these tums called Ultra 1000 or something they were VERY minty and you could feel it as you swallowed easing the pain from the heart burn and it stayed that way for hours! NO lie. I loved them. And where tums you have to consume so many at once for it to do the trick, well with the Ultra 1000 it only took one of them to work. They are much bigger in size and wonderful. You just feel it cool you throat and where it burns.
    anaandryan

Answer by anaandryan at 4:50 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i found that pilates helps not only for relaxing but great for this too,the baby will benifit too,i found that stress and eating certain foods didnt help,i changed those and done pilates and still do,it also helped me loose some weight after having my two kids
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 5:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I actually had to go to zantac 75; I took it before i ate something; as in my last pregnancy I was in constant pain, I couldn't sleep, and I would have to stop whatever I was doing to try and gather myself it hurt so bad. After reverting to something you take before instead of after, and trying to stay away from stuff like tomato sauces; I felt a BILLION times better. My doctor recommended it, and I am so glad I said something!!! Just ask your doctor, and I am sure they can give you some options so that you aren't going insane anymore :( I know how horrible it feels, just stick in there and get something that will stop your suffering. GL and congrats!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• and btw mammamia72 is right; the little flap in the back of your throat is relaxed during pregnancy, which is what causes it :)
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2008