How would you feel if your child's teacher bought him shoes?

My eight year old came home yesterday with new shoes, he hid them in his room. He has two pairs of shots that I bought him no more than three months ago, neither has holes he refuses to tie his shoes So his laces are frayed.

mlregalado

Asked by mlregalado at 8:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Im more concerned about why he would hide them in his room. You need to sit down with him and remind him to be honest with you about any, "gifts", someone gives to him. He needs to ok with you first. Im not sure what to make of this. I think I would be contacting the teacher to ask why she didnt ask me first. I mean be nice about it, but I would ask. Plus I would want to know where those shoes came from since they are going on my kids feet! Just my thoughts....
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sorry, It would weird me out. Completely. I am assuming he is the only one who got new shoes.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Try not to assume the worst until you know more. Go to her and ask some questions. Lovingly ask your son why he felt he had to hide them from you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would feel a little uncomfortable, but I'd think it was nice. I'd send a thank you card with him to school.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would thank her, and tell her it wasn't necessary.

Answer by older at 8:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would call the teacher and thank her if you were comfortable with doing that. Maybe explain in a joking manner that he doesn't like to tie his new shoe laces and they keep getting frayed. Since your son hid the shoes, who's to say he wouldn't hide the thank you note from her?
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 8:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would ask the teacher more questions.

If your child has nice shoes than something may be wrong?

talk to your son, but look like you are happy about the gift and see what he has to say.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Also I do not like that he hid the shoes in his room, that is what tells me something is wrong.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would find it odd and i agree with beyond hopes . IT doesn't seem appropriate teacher behavior, plus i wonder why your son hid them. I would have lots of questions for both teacher and son
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 8:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Are you 100% sure that they came from the teacher? If he hid them and lied before about stuff before. It would make me wonder if they some other kid's shoes. Not saying he stole them or anything though, my daughter came home with a bracelet that she said she got from the prize box from reading group but after few days it came out that her friend was letting her borrow it during lunch and she forgot to give it back to her (she took it back the next morning after she had brought it home). She lied because it's against the rules at her school to wear each other's jewelry and stuff and didn't want to get in trouble.

I don't know all the details of your situation, but it's just a thought. I also would feel insulted if a teacher bought my child shoes.
    Anonymous