How much should a 16 month old be eating?

My daughter eats yogurt or 1/2 an oatmeal packet for breakfast around 930. She has 1/4 of a hot dog, the very middle of a grilled cheese, or a bowl of applesauce for lunch around 1. When she wakes up from her nap she has a 1/2 banana and a little of something else. Then she eats dinner with my husband and I around 6, and will eat a little of whatever we eat.
This is just some of the stuff we feed her, but an idea of how much we feed her during the day. She is growing great, but I just worry that she doesn't eat enough, even though I really can't get her to eat more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh she eats plenty! From what you've described it sounds like she has a very good diet! My son is 2 and I've asked my doctor this same question several times and he always tells me that he will eat as much as he wants an that's it. And they say it's not good to force them to eat more than they want to, it will jsut have negative affects on the child to be pressured into it. It's nothing to worry about because they will eat if they're hungry, they won't let themselves starve. And they always say that you should keep in mind that their stomachs are about the size of their little baby fist!! :) So don't worry, it sounds like you're doing great!
    BeckNAiden

Answer by BeckNAiden at 8:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I also have a 16 m/o and here is how our day goes: Breakfast at 8, usually some fruit & a grain. Lunch at 12:30, part of a sandwich with yogurt, maybe some fruit/veggie. Dinner around 5:00, depends on what I'm eating. She gets about 5-6 oz. of milk between meals, all meals are served with water. I sometimes give her watered down (homemade) juice when she wakes up. As long as your daughter seems satisfied and doesn't get hungry for several hours, she should be fine. I give milk between meals so it doesn't fill her up & she can get other nutrients at mealtime. Good luck!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I read recently that the biggest meal of the day for toddlers should be breakfast. I too was giving my son just oatmeal and yogurt for breakfast, and that wasn't enough. He actually wanted to eat about twice that much. So I started cutting up a little tray of fruit, cheese, and meat for him to snack on during the morning. He really started gaining weight more normally then. It made me feel bad that all that time I had been assuming he was full.

Anna_2250

Answer by Anna_2250 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2008