What books do you suggest I read in preparation for upcoming Midwife delivery?

"What to Expect when you're Expecting" is the only one I've purchased, and I'm hoping for other great suggestions... It's my first delivery.

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 8:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In the hospital?
    Are you also taking classes to prepare as well?
    Do you have someone going through the process with you, for support?

Other than Ina May's, check out Birthing From Within, Gentle Birth Choices, The Birth Book, Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering... I have them sent to my local library branch~~
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• what to expect may scare you a bit. IMO its very "mainstream" & wants you in the hospital in a "nice clean safe enviroment" ..
    The book that changed my views on labor/delivery.. "Ina Mays Guide to childbirth"... it is beautiful.. I dont see how anyone can read this book & not be touched or changed about home births! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I suggest the magazines, there's plenty of advice from doctors and real life moms. Try Parenting, American Baby, or Parent & Child. Also, I had a midwife, and I seriously wouldn't have gone any other way. The entire labor and delivery procedure was completely up to me and my husband, so no hassle!
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks for the ideas... I'll check out "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," as I too find "What to Expect..." a bit mainstream now that you mention it. Any other suggestions?
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Karen pryor's "breast feeding your baby" has really great tips on labor and delivery and practical preparations.

A lot of women like "birthing form within" but it's too much like a class in feminism to me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Birthing From Within by Pam England is AWESOME!! If you're a birth junkie like me, read "Babycatcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife" by Peggy Vincent. She tells lots of tales of births she attended. Gives you an idea.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010