How do I get my kids to stay out of things?

I know my kids are curious my daughter is three and my son is almost two. However I am tired of them emptying all of their dresser drawers of clothes, getting food out of cubbords, pulling all of the books out of the bookcase, and so on. They do not make small messes they make big ones. I am a working mom but I spend my free time with my children. I know my son is still trying to understand but my daughter knows better and yet does it anyway. I want to correct the behavior before I have to put locks on everything in the house. I do not have time to clean up all the messes and do everything else I need to do. I am tired of the house being a mess because they destroy it faster then we can clean it. I need help. I have family coming for christmas and for once I would like them to come over to my apartment and it be clean.

gimpers99

Asked by gimpers99 at 6:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• At their age it's all about emptying things, unfortunately they are choosing the dressers and cupboards! You gotta redirect their attention, not just tell them no, but follow it with what they can do. Give them things they can empty, both large and small, like some balls in a big rubbermaid box, let them empty their toybox and wait til bedtime to clean it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• At that age my son was into taking things apart, he actually took all the kitchen cuboards off one day while I was in another part of the house cleaning, it's a game to them and when they do it make cleaning it back up a game.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008