How do you handle the turkey trot? (For people having/attending multiple gatherings on T-day.)

We have my family and his and the need for two T-day dinners. I'm having my family over here for lunch, then we go to his family's house for dinner. They all won't be together, no need to go into the reasons why. I'm wondering how do you handle having multiple dinners? How do you juggle it? Who cooks? Where do you go? How do you stay sane?

TwoBrownDogs

Asked by TwoBrownDogs at 8:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• Well, for me, its a balance. This Saturday I am cooking a turkey for my dearest friends and their babies and SOs. Potluck style.
    The day of is always crazy, but you gotta suck it up. I need to go to my mom's, my inlaws, AND my dad's... I just keep reminding myself it isnt as crazy as christmas.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 9:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• HAHAHA! Well, after almost 12 years of chaos at my in laws, I'm not cooking or going there. Not going to my family's either. Going to have a small get together at my cousin. MUCH less stress!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We don't do this anymore. We chose one family one year for Thanksgiving day and we go to the other family the next year on Thanksgiving day. We often get together with the other family sometime during the weekend though so that we see all family. SO aunt always has it at her house on his side of the family and she cooks most of it and we all bring something to add to the dinner or desert. My side of the family is either at my mom's house or my house and my mom and I do the cooking.

Now my SO's kids have to always go to Thanksgiving dinner with their mom. She never lets them come over here. My kids take turns between me and their dad.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I made a point when our kids were young that we would not haul them everywhere just to please everyone. So we have open house potluck on Thanksgiving & Christmas. Everyone loves it because it's not formal and you can come and go as you please. No questions asked and most importantly no GUILT Trips!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• WE aren't doing it this year because my mom is in jail this year and my whole family made plans to go to a family members house which is an hour away from my hometown which means it's 4 hours away from here! So we would have to drive two hours to MILs house and then 2 more hours there so I said NO GO.

NORMALLY we have lunch at my mom's and desert at my dad. My families DH doesn't normally do Thanksgiving but on years that they do we make them switch off with my mom each year between lunch and dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010