If you're Christian, does it bother you when you see Christmas spelled "Xmas"?

Personally, out of respect for the holiday, I always spell it correctly, even though I'm not a Christian.

You?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I guess I'm technically not a Christian anymore, but it never bothered me when I was. I've written it shorthanded before, but I've also been mindful of writing it out if I want to be sure not to offend someone who is sensitive to it. I'm not offended by people saying "Happy Holidays" either (since it's mentioned by pp), because not only does that include Christmas and New Years, but acknowledges many other holidays around the winter solstice and end of the year. I say both Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, especially if I want to be inclusive of other faiths and non-religious people.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• " What IS offensive is when people disassociate Christ from Christmas, and use words like "Holidays" as euphamisms. "

Why is it offensive to want to include everyone? Using "Holidays" is the easiest way I know of to include everyone... Do you know of a better way other than simply listing Christmas, Kwanzaa, Yule, Solstice, Hanukkah and so on? Seems to me Holidays is the LEAST offensive way to go about things, this way no one - including you - is forgotten...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• "I as just wondering because I've heard people say that it's taking Christ out of Christmas. "

Oh please, christ doesn't reside in a word. He resides in peoples' hearts. And if my writing "x" instead of "christ"mas removes him from peoples' lives, then he isn't so "all might" as others claim.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• " Do you know of a better way other than simply listing Christmas, Kwanzaa, Yule, Solstice, Hanukkah and so on? Seems to me Holidays is the LEAST offensive way to go about things, this way no one - including you - is forgotten... "

Ditto This^^^. Well said sabrina.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What IS offensive is when people disassociate Christ from Christmas, and use words like "Holidays" as euphamisms.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Seriously? Happy Holidays is OFFENSIVE?? Really?

Just HOW is it OFFENSIVE to include ALL the holidays celebrated during this time of the year???  

As for using "xmas", I only use it when making lists for myself. It didn't bother me when I was a Christian and it doesn't bother me now because I used my brain and did the research on when it started and what it really meant.

Try not to get CTS while voting me down. =)

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It bothers me when some spell Christian as Xtian here.
    I would rather spell out Christmas too.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

Why is that offensive?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Nope doesnt bother me it still says the same thing :-) ... If Christians did their research they wouldnt be whining about it! :-) Its petty to me really and a bit religious ( as in religious spirit)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm not crazy aobut it, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when people use Jesus' name as a curse word. For some reason they don't do that with the founder of any other religion.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• "Join the club, lol. As Kurt Cobain said..."I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." :)~ "

Gotta love Kurt!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010