Can I re-dye my hair the next day?

OK, 4 weeks ago I used a 28 day hair dye (lasts thru 28 shampoos). My hair was previously hi-lighted blonde. I was in a funk and decided Id rather be brunette ;)
I used Loreal chesnut brown and I ended up with red/brown hair. HATED it! I washed it every day, sometimes 2-3x a day! In 4 weeks it has faded some, but its certainly not blonde! Tonight I got Garnier blonde (28 shampoo one) and used it. ABSOLUTLEY no change at all!! You'd never know i did anything, its still red! My question...Can I re-do it again tomorrow with the blonde? Maybe keep it in longer? I purposely buy the non-permanent ones for this reason...it never turns out how I like! Thanks in advance!

momof2gs

Asked by momof2gs at 9:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i did that once and it really dried out my hair..(and i still didnt get the right color)...the salon woulndt touch my hair till the next week because they didnt want to damage my hair. So i would say try to wait a week if you can.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Blonde will never show up on a redish brown unless you do a foil or something. I would maybe say go to sallys...if you have one and get the color stripper. Do that a time or to and see what your hair looks like then. OR get a chocolate brown color and do that and leave it for a while. Let it fade and then get blonde put in. But a box color blonde will not cover up a dark color
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I didnt think it would cover it; but the box showed my (now) color hair in the "before/after" photo and it was the color I wanted :(
    What a waste of money and time...not to mention drying out my hair!! Im calling Garnier tomorrow to see what they have to say.
    momof2gs

Comment by momof2gs (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i died my hair and tinted my brows 2 days before my wedding sure it would turn out the perfect black cherry (redish black) color when i was done.... i had PURPLE eyebrows and hair 2 days before my wedding need i remind, well i absolutely couldnt have that in my pictures so i decided to risk it and re died my hair that same night and besides it being dry it turned out great. and to cure the dryness i just slept in a thick color treatment conditioner like the ones you get in a box of dye and then after rinsing the next morning followed up with lots of bio silk hair oil. long story short, my hair was dark red and beautiful on my wedding day. so yes you can just condition ALOT.
    mrs.sugar

Answer by mrs.sugar at 9:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No, only bleach will get your hair back to blond. Don't waste any more money on the boxed stuff. Go to the salon, or even try a beauty school. They can get it how you want it to be.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would not do it because you are over processing your hair also if you are dyeing it a lighter color your hair will become brittle and very dry.
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. It is too much for your hair. Just wait at least couple weeks. Good luck,
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• UGH!! YOU CANNOT LIGHTEN HAIRCOLOR WITH HAIRCOLOR!! and you cannot use TEMPORARY color to lighten ANY COLOR. its a deposit-only type product; meaning it will only deposit color/tone to existing color...which mean, you will not see any change on darker-colored hair when you apply a lighter-color shade.
    also, the 'guide' on the back of box colors is only an estimate..done on natural haircolor, not previously bleached/colored hair, with minimal gray mixed in. (unless its a 'for gray coverage' hair product.)
    and..you do realize that 'chestnut' has a lot of warmth to it..so, of course, you're hair turned a reddish/brown. that's what it is..if it showed redder tones, its because you colored over bleached/highlighted hair and it 'grabbed' the base, due to porosity.
    this is why you should leave haircolor to professionals.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2010