Educational game system for a 7 yr old

My mom is looking to buy a handheld game system for my 7 yr old DD. She suggested the Tag reading system but that seems like you have to make sure you have both pieces (and not lose 1) and she would go through the $9 books quickly. Any experiences w/ that system? Amazon gave it good reviews. The cost is $30. We're staying clear of the DS since it cost so much.
Any other suggestions? I like the educational aspect as she's learning to read.

mom22littlegirl

Asked by mom22littlegirl at 9:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if you're willing to splurge, go for the DSi. they have some educational games.
    sunshinehippie

Answer by sunshinehippie at 9:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son has the leapster and loves it. They have a bunch of different games and it isn't too expensive. You can usually get the games on sale. They have reading, science and math games.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i've been struggling w/ getting a DSi too. My friend got one for all of her 4 kids from the age of 4y - 10y. And it worked for them i guess but her daughter who is 8y now, have lost it, misplaced it, and dropped it. So for my family that is a little bit too expensive of toy for a 7y old but he does have the V-tech Cyberpocket, i like that one because he can play on it in the car or just play it on the TV with the use of just one cable!
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010