Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Maiden Name

Right now I'm waiting for the approval papers saying I'm officially divorced but if I don't have them, can I use my maiden name on the bc, i want her to have df's last name though. My concern is I just don't wanna use my married name when writing who the mother is. Hopefully to avoid confusion and all. My lawyer said he'd see about it, anybody know anything on this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

Answers (3)
  • If i remember corectly you need to show your i.d but every state is different as far as how that goes...but I believe that you can....but not sure how yours will appear because the name change isnt official your hospital and ask the birth certificate clerck she will tell you exactly what to do so you can be prepared!

    Answer by TrulyBlessedx8 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • Oh i didnt think of calling the hospital, hehe preggo brain sure doesn't help! I will do that, i really hope it isn't an issue and all, I suppose I could wait, I'm just afraid that I'm going to forget, cause it's going to be just another name change i'll have to worry about fixing once I get the official papers in my hands!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

  • Honestly, it shouldn't matter what your name is. You can name your child whatever you want. Even though they will put your name on the baby for identification purposes the naming is up to you. If you didn't want to give the child a last name they couldn't actually make you. Give the child the name you want and save yoruself teh paperwork of changing the name later.

    Answer by GoldenLinds at 1:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.