What do you say to a toddler who is rough with your baby?

My 2 year old is adorable but he tends to be a bit rough with his 5 month old sister. Being protective of the baby i can't help being a bit mean but this is not working. Any advice?

loleah

Asked by loleah at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a two year old and 6 month old, so I can relate. I just keep showing my two year old how to be gentle with the baby, over and over again. When she does something too rough, i try to be gentle with my scolding.

The other day, the baby was on the floor crying while I tried to make her milk. When she suddenly stopped crying, I ran to see why. My two year old was sitting on top of her!! Very hard to keep a calm voice while trying to scold her. The baby on the other hand, was smiling. Who knew?
    Momofthree602

Answer by Momofthree602 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Watch him closely, and scold him gently, and he will eventually outgrow it...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i taught my older ones how we treat a little baby, and only once had a problem with a toddler picking on an infant.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have a 2 year old and a 8 month old...both girls...they love to play together but jealousy kicks in alot...my oldest is rough with the little one...she shoves the bottle in her mouth (meaning to help me)...but I tell and show her how to be gentle...i have caught her one time sitting on top of her little sister...which caught me off guard so i raised my voice at her...she hasnt done it since...just have to teach them how to be gentle
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 11:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies for all your comments.This helps a lot.
    loleah

Comment by loleah (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010