If you were homeless and found $3300, would you turn it in?

When Dave Talley, a Tempe homeless man, found a backpack at the light rail station near Rural Road and University Drive earlier this month, his first thought was to look through the bag for the owner's identification or contact information. Instead, he found an envelope containing about $3,300 in cash.

The temptation to keep the money for himself was almost overwhelming, he said. Then, his conscience kicked in.

"The reality set in that it wasn't my money and it needed to be turned over," he said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Having never been homeless, I don't know what I would do, but I admire this man.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow, I can't say for sure if my actions would be as honest as amazing as that man. I haven't read the story yet, just the headline, so I'm hoping he got some type of huge reward.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thats amazing I know acouple of stories like this. I honestly dont think I would turn it in, actaully I know I wouldn't if it didnt have a name on it. He's a great man.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• He will be blessed 10 fold in heaven and on earth.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 9:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Turn it in... that is the kind of heart I have. If no one claims it then it is given to me but if the person claims it they are relieved
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Regardless of how down on their luck some people are, they won't steal. I wouldn't have kept it either, it's just not right.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Bravo!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• wow thats so great :)
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had a similar situation happen to me. Although we weren't homeless, we were in desperate need of money. Coming out of the grocery store I saw a bunch of dollar bills on the ground. They were blowing in the wind. At first I thought, "sweet! I could use this," but as soon as I started picking up the money, I had an overwhelming feeling that this money didn't belong to me and I couldn't keep it. I gathered up the money (some nice people helped me collect it) and I turned it into the manager of the grocery store. Turns out there was about $500 there.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010