When you are pregnant is it common for the children you already have to be jealous of each other?

I didn't have that problem out of my daughter when I had my son but now I am pregnant and the both seem to envy each other when I give them my attention. My son likes for me to hold him (8months) and my daughter(4years) cries when I pick him up especially if I am doing something with her first. We never had this problem before.

MAMABEBE3

Asked by MAMABEBE3 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• They sense that there is something new and different. Your son wants your attention because he is the baby. Your daughter already has to share you with the baby and she is old enough to realize she will soon have to share you with another. Your son is used to being the center of attention, where as your daughter knows she will be getting less atention and therefore is being more demanding for it now. It is not unusual at all. Also remember this is a lot of change for her which is probably overwhelming. You can try making time for just your daughter so she does not feel so left out. Also try sitting where they can both sit with you and read or sing. I did that with my daughter after my son was born and it helped her alot. Just give lots of love and reassurance and tell them why they are so special to you. The rest will work itself out.
    gimpers99

Answer by gimpers99 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No, I do not remember mine ever doing that. I know they say (depending how old the child is), they know first hand when the mother gets pregnant and I have herd of kids not wanting anything to do with the mother while pregnant but never the children envying each other. HUH? Maybe they just want mom.
    anaandryan

Answer by anaandryan at 8:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• IDRK because my son didn't do that with either of my daughters and my oldest dd didn't do it with my youngest dd.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It has nothing to do with being pregnant....it has everything to do with siblings wanting all of mommy's attention. It's going to get alot worse....get ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Your daughter is old enough to understand that she's soon going to be sharing your attention with 2 siblings instead of 1. Just make sure you spend lots of quality time with her so she doesn't feel like she's losing you.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2008