How can I help him not be afraid?

My 5 year old son is afraid of the sound of alarms. Mainly smoke alarms and the sounds from security systems. He has never experienced a fire or a break in. At school when they have fire drills he covers his ears and cries and screams, and he does the same if the smoke alarm may go off cause of cooking. Even if it beeps cause the battery needs changed he gets anxious. He wants to be a firefighter when he grows up and I have tried to explain to him why they sound that way, but it has not worked. What can I do to help him no be so afraid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• By calmly and consistently telling him that there's no need to be afraid, to remain calm, and to practice with fire alarms and drills. Tell him when they're coming, remind him there's no need for fear as we know this is just a practice - and we're practicing so that you don't have to be afraid if a real emergency happens, because you'll know just what to do. The more calmly and matter-of-factly you handle these situations, the more matter-of-fact he'll be able to become.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think its normal for little kids to be scared of them. I remember getting upset over them when I was little. DS does too but he is only 2. Maybe just keep doing what your doing by reassuring him and he will probably grow out of it! GL!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 10:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree with aliceinalqonac - she sounds like a really wise mom!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010