How can I wean my 2 year old from breastfeeding?

My daughter just turned 2. She depends on breastfeeding to go to sleep. I want to wean her, but dont know how. She sleeps in the bed with my husband and I, and it really doesnt help with our "private time" (or lack of with her in bed with us). Does anyone know how to help?

youngmom20

Asked by youngmom20 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try rocking her to sleep while nursing, then gradually cut back on the length of time that you let her nurse. Eventually you should be able to just rock her to sleep, then put her in her own bed.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She's dependent on you. I mean, if she sleeps in the same bed as you and your hubby---I would stop that ASAP. I guess it also depends how long she's slept in the same bed.

They say it should only take 3-5 days to get them off a habit. You'll just have to let her cry it out. She doesn't necessarily depend on the breast feeding to go to sleep, it's just what she's used to.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I stopped nursing both of my children after they turned 2, and they both did much better with a gradual approach. They now sleep very well in their own beds.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I also use to co-sleep with my daughter till she was almost 15 months, and just stoped breastfeeding not to long ago, she is almost two. First I got her use to sleeping in her own bed, which was hard for about a week, we did the whole cry it out, It was ruff for a few nights. But I am so glad I did it, and so is my husband :) then when I stopted nurcing her, it sounds funny, but my doctor told me to try it, I put vinager on my nipples and it only took her two times of trying to nurse for her to descide she wanted nothing to do with breastfeeding, lol It worked like a charm! altho my boobs did hurt for a few days but not bad, sense she did not nurse that much anymore, just moslty for comfort. well hope that helps a little and good luck
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 10:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would work on getting her into her own bed first. Then drop was feeding a week. It usually takes a couple of weeks. During the day try to distract him with other things like books, playing outside, etc. At night have DH get up with him or put him to sleep.

In my experience getting them in their own bed is the first step. I LOVED co-sleeping but it coming to an end definately led to the weaning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would start by putting her bed right next to yours so she can get used to it and gradually move it away and into another room if that is your goal. I do not have any tips on weaning as I am still nursing at almost three years.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2010