What would you do?

Lets pretend you have a sister in law that you don't know very well (your brother in law recently got married, and you've only met her about 3 times).

Now, lets pretend that several hair stylists at your hair salon know her, and know she's your sister in law and every time you go in there they are constantly talking about her (and her doing drugs, cheating, being a slut essentially, etc). Since you don't really know her, you have no idea what's true and what isn't.

Would you tell your sister in law that people are talking behind her back? Would it effect your opinion negatively of her (since you have no idea if they're "rumors" or not)? Would you tell your brother in law (who you are close with)? Or would you totally ignore it.

Oh, and keep in mind that you're usually a non-confrontational person who gets along with just about everyone.

ChelseaUT

Asked by ChelseaUT at 10:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• i would let it slip out to someone who i knew would just have to tell him. not someone who would use it against him just someone who would feel like they had to tell him for his own good.
    mrs.sugar

Answer by mrs.sugar at 10:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No offence to women who work in salons but they do tend to be breeding grounds for catty nasty jealous behaviour regarding clients. I wouldn't take anything they say at face value. I would mention it to the sister in law and find a new salon where the employees are actually professional and not immature mean gossiping jerks.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I honestly I think I would tell brother in law first since I do not know her to see what they think. I would hate to call her only meeting her three times and say you know the salon is saying negative things about you. I would not want to change salon because of drama LOL that I am not even sure is true or not. I hope this helps.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I might repeat it to my husband, and my husband would tell his brother. Not my place to get in the middle of all that drama, but the SIL still deserves to know that there are people who are bashing her. And I would stop visiting that salon -- if they are bashing your SIL and they know you're related to her, that's just plain rude.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would talk to the sister in law and let her know what is being said about her. She what she says to the rumors. Her explanations.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I adore my little brother who is a moron when it comes to women. I would go straight to him and tell him that his wife is the subject of vicious gossip. And I would tell her too. I might sit them down together. Because if it isn't true, then strangers are attacking my family. If it is true, then I didn't gossip-- I addressed everything on the up and up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I wud tell my hubby & let him decide if he wants to talk to his bro about the matter.Mean while I wud not touch the topic with my sil.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would get to know her first. It won't take long to see if the rumors are true. If you see for yourself that it's true then you can bring it up.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• just pull her aside and ask her if what they are saying is true. she is family you should be able to talk to her
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'd stay out of it. BIL might like the way she is.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010