Thoughts on the latest Newsweek cover?

See below - I have this in the P&CE but thought I could ask it here too.

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• but.... i suppose it would depend on the content of the article as well. i would be interested more in the story though depicting him as a God is well a little off the top. I wonder why they never used that with other presidents that were dealing with same issues.. these issues aren't new... so why the use of the term God with obama... makes me wonder
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• He's not my God; that's for sure.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 10:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i think it's really a low class move for newsweek. very disrespectful
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• he didn't have followers... please he was running for president he had people willing to vote for him. Show me one president who didn't have devoted constituents willing to vote for them
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• "he does have a very devout following "

Pretty much like the bush followers. Obama isn't a special case when it comes to that. Every president has it's "followers" vs. people who happen to like them and want to vote for them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Doesn't bother this Hindu (well raised Hindu..lol).

Even it is was meant as a depiction of a Hindu God. It still wouldn't bother me.

In India, and for most of us who were raised Hindu, The Gods/Goddess are very present in popular media, and in the society as a whole. Gods/Goddess are everywhere, and used in all sorts of : ads, movies, songs, pictures, billboards..etc.. Religion is very socially ingrained in India, and a part of media in many ways. Unlike here in the US.. So a depictions of like this, wouldn't bother the majority of Hindus/Indian for the most part.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It made me giggle. He is no God, and it's pretty sad that many people expect him to be. He cannot wave a magic wand and undo 8 years of destruction.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I thought Newsweek was too sarcastic and snarky....."GOD" of all things sounds snarky. They need to show more respect, even if they are a more "rightish" magazine. And they are.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The thing is.. God can handle anything... President Obama... on his own.. not so much. If he turns to God for guidance, he can because God helps him do so. I do not know how personal his relationship with God is so cannot say for sure if this is or is not the case.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Eh whatever. It's a magazine. It's an opinion. People can take from it whatever they wish. It's up to them how they want to judge it. No one is forcing them to read into it or even read what the article says. It's a photo meant to grab your attention, which seems to be working.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2010