Could DD be over weight?

my DD is 38-39 lbs and she is 39 inches tall. On the groth charts she is beyond 95 percent for everything, does this mean that shes over weight? Or is she proportioned? By the way she is 30 months old

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 10:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's fine :).. my 15 month old is 34 inches and 24 lbs and my 4 year old is 3ft7in and 50lbs but not fat
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Both of my kids are well into the 90th percentile for both height and weight. My son is well built, muscular, but he's certainly not overweight. And my DD is just a toddler still, with baby fat rolls.
    If your doc is not concerned, neither should you be.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No, it doesn't mean she is overweight. She is a toddler and will lose the "baby fat" as she grows taller and becomes more active. If her doctor isn't concerned then don't worry about it. You should really be asking her doctor these questions as it depends on her body type too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My daughter is 7 and weighs about 42 pounds, so it does sounds like your dd is heavier than average.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My 6 year old son is 38 pounds. But he is underweight and taking pediasure. They said he should weigh 43-44 pounds for his height.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My Pediatrician doesn't start being concern about kids being over the 90th percentile until they reach age 6.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Percentiles don't mean a child is under weight or over weight usually. The are usually refered to when discussing where a child is compared to others her age.

You're child is larger than 97 percent of children her age. She MAY be overweight or she may just be tall her her age. Talk to your doctor about it.

Honestly she's bigger than my 3.5 year old but that's doesn't mean much.
    Anonymous

• My son was 30 lbs at 30 months. He stayed on the 50% curve his whole life. Until he was a teen, then he fell off the curve.

Has she stayed on the same curve since birth? That is the best measurement of health.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 PM on Nov. 18, 2010