Does anyone hate buying used vehicles?

I have been looking online (due to not feeling so well enough to ride my bike out in the cold) for a vehicle. I found two that I liked one was a Honda Passport ($5000 with 88,000 miles) the other was a Nissan Pathfinder ($3500 with 157,ooo miles). I wanted the Honda and then some guys were looking at it and eventually bought it. The Nissan, I test drove it and it was nice. I noticed when i got out that the drums behind the wheel covers were all rusted. Just something i noticed. I checked a few other things and was like maybe this is a good deal. When i got home I had sent a carfax to someone, they said that it was over in New York and that it had 5 owners, one of those was a "fleet" owner. He also said the car was not worth it because of it being over on the east coast and the salt air.
Is anyone familiar with this? I mean I will not buy it. Just in the future I really want to be more aware of rust etc.

VGonzalez73

Asked by VGonzalez73 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Shopping

• Both my kids got burned hard buying from private sellers. My son bought his last truck from carmax. He has been so happy with it. They have a section of cars that are higher mileage that are some great deal. Before we bought my new truck we sold my F150 with 89K on it to carmax straightout for 6 K more than the dealership would give on trade in. I would at least look in to them. Be cautious of cars from snow regions. Esp. regions where they use a lot of salt on the raods. It is a killer on the underbody.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The moment you buy a brand new car and drive it off the lot it becomes a used vehicle. I'd buy from a used car dealer like Carmax before I bought a used car from a person. I've been burned a few times and my last car I bought from Carmax, I bought in 2003 and it still runs perfect.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• yes , hate it.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I buy NY cars all the time.. the only problems with the "salt" is from the winter and the roads. Just check the rocker panel to check for rust, if there is no rust the car is fine, that's the only problems with "salt". (I live in NY so I know, lol).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Nope, both of our vehicles are used, and completely paid for. It does not pay to buy brand new, when slightly used will do. Look for lease returns with low miles, those are usually the best deals and are typically well taken care of.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Clarification: the vehicles history is that it originated in New York. Overall, I just hate shopping for vehicles. I don't want to be taken advantage of or get a lemon. Has anyone ever shopped for a vehicle and learned a good lesson on what to look for. My searches for a vehicle have been narrowed to SUV's, less than 150,000 miles and the option to buy a warranty. I'd be really happy to find something less than 100,000 miles, warranty and around 5000..but maybe im just dreaming.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, i am looking at the carfax's history and kelley blue book. But i just get so witchy when i see some of the options I can choose from. At one point i said, I give up, sale me a broom with a navigational system and an airbag and Maybe I will be happy. I thought shopping for a car was going to be fun, but its not. Booo.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I really do appreciate all the suggestions and stories. I live in the high desert and we have the cascades and I am hoping tofind a good vehicle to take my girls and I up to and play around in the snow.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i never ever buy used cars
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010