Has your doctor ever measured your belly wrong?

My doctor today said I was 2 weeks behind in my measurements, but when I did it at home, I measured that I was 2 weeks ahead. Obviously I'm not a doctor, so could be off, but don't see how I could be off by THAT much (4-8 cm's). That and I KNOW I was smaller with my first kid and never had a problem, and my normal OB/GYN never said the measurements were off, in fact last week said I was right on. Could this just be a miscalculation on the midwifes end?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didnt have a problem I always measured just right! :) Congrats on your little one!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Measurements of anything can be wrong. Also, the position of the baby can change at a moments notice. Only be concerned if the measurements are not increasing, because then you may have a growth or malpositioning issue.

My midwife stroked my stomach to get the baby to curl up for the measuring. That way the baby was in roughly the same position for each measurement. If she didn't stroke my belly before hand, DD's legs would stick way out into my kidneys and I would measure 3 weeks smaller.

Measurements are just a guide.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i was 100% sure on the day we got pregnant but i kept measuring to big they thought i had my dates wrong and i thought she was just doing it wrong! well the doc thought it was twins, so we did the sono gram and i had a cyst on my right ovary the size of a football and i had to have it removed along with my ovary when i was 5 months pregnant! after that i measured right on track!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It could be a miscalculation. I was right on my whole pregnancy. But my sister in law who is due Dec 24th, has been allll over the place with her measurements, and it's ALWAYS the same Dr. I wouldn't base much on the measurements.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was always right on with my measurements, but my son ended up being 10 pounds! I don't get how the doc didn't notice that. He had to have been measuring big, I was pregnant belly from my boobs to my hooha.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• shanna84 same scenario with me and my 2nd child. they said i was measuring smaller than what i should have been my entire pregnancy and yet my baby was 10 pounds?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ecodani: I'm pretty sure that's what happened because I'd been on my back due to her checking my cervix for dilation, and I could feel the baby closer to my spine. (when she measured me, not when I measured).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2010