Do you have your final affairs in order?Who will care for the kids?

Recently I had a friend who's sister was killed in a hit and run accident leaving behind 5 kids. No one is really was told who she would have wanted them to go with and the father of 3 is in jail. There are family who will take 1-2 but no one is in position to keep all 5 in one house. She had no life insurance and no will.

Do you have your final affairs in order?Will ? life insurance?

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 11:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• um, your depressing me.
    no i dont have my affairs in order. i would want my son to go to my mom, not his father, but there is nothing written and i never took him to court for custody yet so i should get that together just incase i get killed huh!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My husband and I cannot agree on where the children should go. He wants the Godparents, I want my parents..long story...we have just agreed to disagree at the moment.
    Anyway, we do have life insurance for both of us (although he is worth more) but no will.
    I should really get on it..thanks for reminding me.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There really aren't any affairs to be in order, we own nothing and everyone knows I would prefer no funeral & cremation over any thing else. As for the kids... My mother would get them, there is no one else.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We are looking into life insurance and this spring we will get our wills finalized.

We want the kids to go to dh's parents. It will be a big deal to my family, they will be pretty upset by it. They all think they should get our kids if something happens, but dh and I do not agree with that. My parents have serious medical issues. My oldest sister's husband is a total jerk to our son and they already have 4 kids, so they are out. My brother has three kids of his own that he can barely manage, so they are out. My younger sister can't pay her bills now, I don't know how she could manage with three added kids, so she is out.
    So dh's parents it is.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• @ purpulbutterfly Sorry but truth is that these things are important in the world today innocent people get hurt before the idiots that do the stupid stuff.

I just believe that as parents we protect them from harm so we should always be sure that if we can't they still are going to be okay.

karing4elmas

Comment by karing4elmas (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Were getting life insurance soon, I just got the Gerber plans for my kids! Im not sure yet who would take them...thats a REALLY hard decision for me...almost makes me want to cry! Sadly I dont think I would want My mom or my MIL to raise my kids completely. I would love for my aunt to take them! I am going to talk to hubby about that!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My sister (who is also my best friend) and her husband are the only ones we would trust with our children. We have eight of them, and they are the only people we feel would raise them right, with our values, they already love them very much (and all of our children adore them), and they know what they are doing with finances. Yes, we have really great life insurance, and our children would be very well off.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• being a divorced mommy of 3 its was one of the first things i didnt after the divorce......i want my children to have the same values i had growing up do i choose my brother/SIL.....over my parents because i think they have raised thier children and deserve to just be grandparents.......just make sure you talk to and ask the person/persons that you are choosing before you put it in writing because they can refuse if they dont know before hand......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Thanks for reminding us to get our affairs in order. We have verbally agreed to have my brother and sister in law raise them, if something should happen to the both of us. Don't have it in writing, nothing offical. Need to do that because if the time ever came sadly there would be alot of fighting over 3 kids and sadly they may be divided. Thanks again for the reminding.
    nurseelephant

Answer by nurseelephant at 10:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No I don't but I have had the discussion with my SO and my mom. They act as if I'm speaking like a crazy lady when I bring it up... but my biggest fear is my kids not having anyone once I'm gone!

I asked a friend to be their GodMother so that I would know they were taken care of if I passed and she refused. I didn't get upset because she was honest in saying she just couldn't raise children. But other than her I don't really trust anyone. I don't event hink my mother is fit to have my children sadly. :( [She lives in some bad conditions with cat poop all over and it doesn't bother her. UGH!]

My SO said even if he and I were to split up he would never seperate the children and would take them in if he had to. But I still want everything in order. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2010