New to being pregnant, and I have a few questions. adult content

I'm nervous about my first appointment and was wondering what to expect. I have always had extreme pain during pelvic exams and heard the pain will most likely be worse. What do they do on your first appointment, so I can prepare? I have my first visit with a doctor I've never met on Dec. 2. Is it normal to be scared? Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thank you.

Phreekre

Asked by Phreekre at 11:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Oh mama, it will be ok. I've always been bad about keeping up with my pap tests, so with both pregnancies I was due for a pap and they did one for me at the 1st appointment. They will also have you pee in a cup to verify you're pregnant so drink some water before you go. They might also do bloodwork to test you for proof of pregnancy but that didn't happen to me this time. They'll take your blood pressure every time, and they'll ask you the first day of your last period, and they'll use that to determine a due date. Then 8 weeks later you get an ultrasound and you see a little lump and your heart melts. :) Enjoy it mama, I hope it's not too difficult for you.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, the good news is that it wasn't really any worse than a regular gyno visit- there is a pelvic exam and they did a pap smear for me, too, because I was due for one, but there were no extras or surprises and it wasn't really more painful because of the pregnancy. And the subsequent visits I did not have any vaginal exams, they just did blood pressure, measured and felt my stomach, listened to the heartbeat, but I never had to even take my pants off. My very last visit they checked me for dilation but that was because I was being induced that day. It's totally normal to be scared since these visits make you nervous anyway and now there is the element of the unexpected but try not to stress about it. You will do fine and it will be over before you know it and then you should be in the clear for a good long while. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I completely agree with the other. There is nothing major going to go on. Its normal to be nervous. I was my entire pregnancy. It will be ok, before you know it, it wont even matter you will be too worried about baby names and clothes. Enjoy mama and Congrats.
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Oh it's okay to be nervous! I went with my (then fiance) at the time and we both were nervous because it was a doctor that we had never met, too. Just keep in mind that the doctors don't expect us to come in without being nervous- and a good doctor will help you along with the process and help you feel at ease and reassured. Just know that with each appointment will bring more questions, and at times call for certain blood tests, exams, ultrasounds, etc.

Now, it's hard to say what is going to happen at your first exam- in mine, I was about 6 weeks along and they did a vaginal ultrasound because the baby is so small at that point. Some doctors wait longer, some earlier to do these exams. My best suggestion would be to call and ask what to expect. That's what I did, and it was very helpful because knowing what was going to happen helped my husband plan if he should be there or not.
    wrightae

Answer by wrightae at 12:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my 1st visit was at 12 weeks, she did a pelvic exam, did some cultures, pap smear, blood work, blood pressure, height n weight, belly measurements, listen 4 the baby hearbeat, asked tons of medical history questions n i was on my way.
    you will b just fine, congrats and good luck
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Same as the rest, nervous is ok!! I think everyone is on their first, i was with my first and second! The third, current preg, was a total shock so I didnt have time to be nervous!! I would def agree with calling if you are super nervous, they will tell you everything you need to know and what to expect. You can always ask questions durring the visit as well. Its all pretty much standard A, B, C on the first visit. After that its all smooth sailing (until the dreded glucose test, nasty stuff). But you get to look forward to ultrasounds and findingout what the baby is (if you want to of course!!). Dont stress too much... try to enjoy it!!
    mommymeg2002

Answer by mommymeg2002 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• its funny cause i have 4 children. and by the time i was half way through my 2nd one i felt like an open book. with all the poking and test and ultra sounds. they will do a pap take blood and you will pee in a cup every visit. About 10-12 weeks you will hear the hearbeat the most fasinating sound i have ever heard. no matter how many times i heard it i cried. how wonderful to be able to grow a human being inside you. you will be scared and nervous but you will be get the hang of it. always go by your motherly instinct. How exciting for you! Congrats
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010