really an idiot question but im haveing a long night...

what is the best potato for mashing....to make like shepperds pie i think im useing the wrong potatoe..im not sure. and best baken potato. thanks xo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Is there really a difference when making mashed potatos? You are just mashing them! As for baking potatos, I am not sure, I get whatever they have here since we don't have a big selection (on military base in Japan).
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was watching the food channel last night and they went to this plant where they grow and then harvest the potatoes for mashed potatoes. They used Russet potatoes. If Im going to make baked potatoes, they sell the larger Russets individually in the produce section, at least at my store
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I've never noticed a difference between potatoes for mashing... I usually just get the big, big baking potatoes and prep as usual.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have tried them all, and years ago, I found that the flavor we love the most is red potatoes. Yukon Gold come in second. Must use lots of real butter and whole milk to get them just right. Russet or Idaho are for baking.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i am all for the yellow potatoes, my kids love them the best, they won't let me buy mashed potatoes flakes in a box anymore
    Nickquilts

Answer by Nickquilts at 11:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my potatos when mashing have been coming out pasty not sure if im useing the wrong kind or just doing something wrong. its pasty and sticky...im getting annoyed with myself. lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• try adding some sour cream.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• the best way to mash potatoes is to warm up some milk and but or some reg cream, and then add to the potaoes. don't add them in cold, seriously u will get the best mashed potatoes.salt n pepper to taste.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Maybe you need to cook them longer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Do you add the butter and mash that up before adding the milk? I've found that works a lot better. Also I have a kitchen aide mixer and it is just the greatest for making mashed potatoes!!!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2010