My co-worker wants me to go to her church...

I love her to death she has become really close to me..shes almost old enough to be my mom lol. Her daughter is my baby sitter and such! Any who she is pentecostal and sorry if i spelled it wrong! She has shown me clips of their praise team singing and such and how people run around during service. I have heard multiple crazy "holy ghost" stories about this denomination. So whats the deal, why are they so different? If you are pentecostal can you tell me the major beliefs?!

If it helps, I have no church back ground whatsoever, and what my family has said of Pentecostal followers is um, not so friendly to say the least. I would like to go try her church, but Im nervous! I do love the fact its a mixed race/culture church, just dont know If hubby and I can handle people fallin out and running around!??! Any advice?!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have attended a pentecostal church as a child though I was raised Baptist. I went with my friend. I found their church to be just a little bit strange to me, but I also very much felt how deep their faith runs, and just how much they want to worship. I can honestly say I've never been to a more interesting church. I couldn't be a true pentecostal because there are some of their beliefs I don't agree with, but it is definitely worth trying out. You never know, it could totally be the right religion for you.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:38 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They are simply 'feeling the Spirit'.. They afre worshipping God in the most physical way they know how.. It's not satanic, it's not insanity.. It's worship.. All churches worship differently.. Some are more reverent, they sit and sing quietly, while other's jump and shout.. I do not belong to a Pentacostal church, but I do belong to a Spirit filled church.. There is a lot of singing, dancing, and waving of hands.. A Pentacostal church, though different from what you may be used to, is still just a church.. These are people who love God and want to show it with every fiber of their being.. They are praising in a very open way with out shame or fear of what others think of them..
    Don't let others make this decision for you.. Try it yourself.. It does take some getting used to if it is something you have never experienced before, but no one is there to hurt you, no one is possessed by the devil..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 8:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you want to check it out, why not meet here there? That way if things get to crazy you can "get an emergency call" and have to leave. You may like it once you try it, or maybe it won't be for you, but at least if you try you can say you tried.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Wouldn't hurt to go once to see if you like it. If you don't like it then tell your friend you want to find a church that you fit into. Most friends wouldn't feel offended if you decided not to attend their church. Give it a go, you may love it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• The best way of knowing, is to experience it for yourself.

What I can share with you from my experience of attending a Pentecostal church for a little under a year at one point in my life is that they believe in the Holy Trinity, and have a firm belief in the power of the Holy Spirit. I've attended services where people spoke out in tongues, and it was awkward at times because I hadn't had any experience in it- but know and trust your own discernment and that if it's where you should be, you will be welcomed and uplifted and called to serve.
    wrightae

Answer by wrightae at 12:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Just go and be open minded. The only way you are really going to learn about it, it is by attending. Don't be afraid, I don't think you are going to have a bad experience and you never know you might make new friends. Wish you the best!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• CONTINUED: Just go with an open mind and heart.. Not everyone worships the same way.. And in my opinion, it's wrong to judge others and call them insane because of how they praise and worship a God that they love..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 8:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I've never attended an actual Pentacostal church, but I my church is a non-denominational, spirit-filled, with a Pentacostal sister church. Yes, some people dance, and spirit filled church members usually like to shout to the Lord. It's simply praising the Lord. At first it may seem strange, but I'm not going to say how you'll feel because I'm not you and God moves in mysterious ways. Anyway, keep an open mind. Also, know that it is very scriptural to praise and worship loudly and dance around. When I started going to a Foursquare Church my mom told me I wouldn't like it but what i found is it WASN'T like what she said and I enjoyed that church very much. Everyone at that church, and the one we currently attend (only changed because we moved) are filled with loving, open, accepting people. If you feel the warmth from the people, I'd say try it a couple times and see if it grows on you. that's what happened for me.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am a firm believer in trying anything once.. I may be a pagan, but I have sat in church with friends.. heck I even covered my head and went to a Mosque one day..even if it is not for you.. at least you got to see what it is like and experience another persons point of view.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 12:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I had that happen, too, and awkward as it was I had to be honest and tell her I wasn't much of a church goer. She didn't like it, wasn't mad, just kinda shocked. But I didn't see any reason to lie and put myself in an uncomfortable situation to make her happy. As far as religion goes, its not something I like to endure personally. I'd just speak up and let the chips fall where they may. If she's truly a friend, she'll be cool with it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010