Has this ever happened to you (grocery store issue)?

I'm at the grocery store with my 2 kids, trying to talk them out of the toys they see, when I hear a big bang x3 on my shopping cart. I turn around in surprise to see this 50ish man (w/ shopping cart) staring at me. I stared back in disbelief and then finally said, "All you needed to do was say excuse me!" Guy says nothing. I move the cart (was opposite toys and kids) and then told the kids, "Stay away from the rude man so that he doesn't hit you." Why I didn't go to my kids after I moved the cart, I don't know. I really was afraid that he was going to bang into my son who just took a step back from the toy. Then, I think I would have gone ballistic. Granted, I was in the way, but ppl have done this to me and I just say "excuse me", or "May I get by, pls?" Why do ppl think it's okay to be rude? Has this ever happened to you? What would you have done?

Chocolatespring

Asked by Chocolatespring at 12:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Respect your elders that purposely banged right into your cart? Really?
    "Stay away from the rude man" is not teaching your child to be rude. It is HONEST. I frankly would be a little worried about the child being the next target for this lunatic with his bumper cart. You have to say "OOPS?" Are you kidding me? This grocery store freak just bashed her cart! Boy, good lesson for the kiddos...how to be a doormat 101.

I hope 50 is not elderly. I think 50 is "old enough to know how to behave better in public and mind your manners."

Boy, you are sure taking some heat here. First, let's see you shouldn't be in the way of a crab ass, but if you are it is okay for him to run you over. Second, who in the world hasn't had trouble with those toys at child eye level? And third, expert child psychologists- I can give names- encourage negotiation skills and choice. "No" is the end of the story is not the best answer for any child.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think I would have thrown some of those toys into his cart, since he was acting like such a baby. What a jerk.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I work in a grocery store and you wouldn't believe the things people do. Its incredibly rude and find at times when I'm just shopping that people don't use manners anymore. They just try to squeeze on by you unnoticed.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i would have say to him why did you run in to my cart with my kids here watch where your going jackass lol
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't believe in the whole, respect your elders JUST BECAUSE they are an elder. If this would have been a young guy that did it, it would have been fine that she said he was rude? Come on!! Just because you are "elder" doesn't mean you get special treatment when being rude! What he did was WRONG! No matter the age, being older he should know better! I would point out to my son as well that that man was rude and to never act like that!

I don't think I have ever actually had an experience like that. BUT I did have an older lady scold me one day in the store for having my son in the wine isle with me!!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I can't believe how rude some people are...wow thats never happened to me. I never really try to talk my son out of toys either though. I say no...thats that end of story.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A similar situation happened to me when I was pregnant. I was at the Black Friday sale and this lady wanted through so she just pushed her basket into my belly. I said "UM EXCUSE ME? What the hell are you doing?"

She informed me that I should get my big belly out of the way. UM WHAT????? I was so pissed, told her to fornicate with herself, called her a bitch and walked off.

Not my finest moment I'll admit but I was pregnant, hormonal and she was just lucky that I didn't press charges!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I saw man in a grocery store actually start throwing groceries at a woman from her own cart she was unloading. He was upset because she had more than 15 items in the "15 items or less express lane!" So he started throwing them and counting at her. The security swiftly took care of him and the person at the cash register was in shock, we all were. She said she has seen it all now! Some people are really out of control I guess.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It's possible that the "rude man" in question had a physical disability, such as hearing loss or Parkinson's, that could have impeded his ability to speak to you.
    I have had elderly people bang on my cart in the grocery store, just as you described. In both cases, the people in question did have Parkinson's and had difficulty speaking clearly and so chose not to speak. Granted, I'm a nurse so I have experience with Parkinson's patients and know some of the less-than-obvious signs.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Children imitate the behavior displayed to them by their parents. They learned how to deal with the man because of how YOU reacted. You could have told your children that sometimes people get a little grumpy when you block the aisles. And left it at that. You told the kids the "rude man" was going to run them over!! Guess how the kids are going to react when someone bumps into them the next time?? They'll probably say something inappropriate because that's what they've learned from their mommy!! People are going to treat us wrong all the time-it's a part of life, and it's up to us as parents to teach our kids how to handle it.

About 6 months ago, I boarded a bus with my then 2 year old. The bus driver was incredibly rude (and I mean RUDE AS HELL!!). I kept my cool for the sake of my daughter. I was calling him all kinds of nasty names in my head, but I kept it together for the sake of my daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2010