best pet?

my boys are 2.5 and 4.5 and were wanting to get them a low matiance pet,either a smallish dog or a cat. which would be better? they will be helping take care of it....

2boysmommy.js

Asked by 2boysmommy.js at 2:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• A guinea pig is perfect for these ages and low maintenance. I would wait on the dog until they are six or older. A cat is a good choice too, but you need to find a cat that is social and friendly with small children.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• lol nooooo rodents! both the boys have grown up around dogs. we had one my mom has some and every one else in the fam... they love them and are good about respecting their boundries.. i just dont want a puppy that i have to house train!!!
    2boysmommy.js

Comment by 2boysmommy.js (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• we have two shih tzu's and they are great with the kids...they are small and pretty easy to take care of but can be a little stubborn
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 2:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would suggest something like a dauchund (weiner dog) They are good with children, and pretty low maintainance. We've had a couple of them, and they were all very good with kids and very much family dogs. I would not go with something too big or that sheds a lot.
    Erin_Jus

Answer by Erin_Jus at 2:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We have 4 dogs, 3 small/med, one of which is a chiweenie and he is awesome. He's about 15lbs, super cute, not frail and has a great disposition.

mrs_vinita

Answer by mrs_vinita at 3:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Okay, then a shih tzu or a cavalier spaniel, or a cat! And be absolutely certain if you get a shih tzu it is not a lhasa apso. A lot of people confuse these two breeds, they look similar, but the temperament/behaviors are not similar at all. Last, most rescues will not adopt animals out to families with children under the age of 8 these days so plan to to spend a little more time shopping around.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• LOL, there is not such thing as a low maintenance pet, especially, if you are thinking of getting a cat or a dog!  Cats generally are not as much work as dogs but still I have yet to have one that is low maintenance.   If you are thinking about a dog Most little dogs are high strung and not always good with kids. Granted if you take the time to socialize, train and treat it like a dog they can be very good with kids. Small dogs are also more likely to be hurt by kids. Not intentionally of course but It is something to consider.  The best thing youi can do is find the breeds you are interest in and do your research to find the best fit for your family. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• There is no such thing. Animals are living creatures. Any dog will need to be played with and cleaned up after. With cats you run the risk of them being too independent and not really wanting to deal with your small children.

How about a goldfish?
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I highly recommend getting the book, "The RIght Dog For You" by Daniel Tortora. It's a very effective way to help you choose dogs that are compatible with your families personality and lifestyle. It covers things like what size dog do you want, what shedding tendency are you comfortable with, what your families activity level is, etc. If you get a dog that fits your families lifestyle, you and the dog will be so much happier.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 10:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You don't want a puppy, so get an older dog. You could get one from the shelter, most of them are already potty trained. I'm sure your local shelter will have a dog around 1-2 years. Plus, the shelter workers will help you pick out the perfect personality type for your family. Do I sound like a plug for shelters? I volunteer. :)

BTW, guinea pigs are awesome pets for kids. They are nothing like mice or hamsters. They are more like rabbits.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010