Is it easier..

Having children further apart in age, or closer in age? I've heard both.. lol. My husband and I are trying to decide when to have our 2nd child. Right now I'm a SAHM, and I love it. I have a lot of unfinished goals with my education, but that stuff can always wait cause I've got a lot of time in the future for that. My son starts pre-school next summer, so I'll have some free time t go back to school. But I'm not sure if I went back to school then, when our 2nd baby would fit in. Cause it'd be at least a few years before we'd have another one. I guess it all boils down to whether or not to have them closer together or further apart in age. We're financially ready, and if we do decide on having another we won't actually start trying for a few months. But we both want at least 2 kids. We're just not sure when the 2nd will come along. We want them to be close enough together to be interested in the smae things & play together,

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 3:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I totally understand your dilemma. We had planned on going for #2 this past summer, but I'm entering a 3 year nursing program this fall, and we don't think it would be right to have an infant when I'm doing that. So our kids will be 5-6 years apart.
    I think there's a trade off either way. I am trying to focus on the positives of the wide age spread right now. My brother and I are almost 6 years apart, and I remember when he was born, when he was little, and now we're really close. I picked on him like crazy and tortured him, but I think that's normal between siblings. He was MY baby when we were kids, and I was SO proud of my baby.
    Whatever you decide to do, you'll make it work. =) Good luck with school and family!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• What is right for one family is not always right for another. Ours are 17, 19 months and soon to be 3 years a part. With the 3 that are close together it is great. They are close, they interact awesomely and we were just in baby mode. Now I feel like with having our fourth and there is that 3 year gap this one is going to feel left out and it is like we are starting all over again. I love the little ones to be close in age. My Mom swore by the fact that there should be three or four years in between kids so they get only individualized attention. My kids do get individualized attention but they have also learned to share attention and toys and such at an early age. I wouldn't do it any other way.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A personal decision, but our children are just 3 years apart and I think it has been good. I know children who are 18 months apart and they are raised almost like twins and one is very jealous. It really depends on the family and the parenting though, you should do what you feel is right for you and your first child.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think it's easier having them closer together. They play together and become better friends. My first 2 are 8 years apart. My second 2, 2 1/2 years apart.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We got pregnant with DS when DD was 18 months old. She is 2 yrs and a few months older than him and it is perfect in my opinion. She is old enough to understand what was going on but not so old that she had the "only child syndrome"
    IheartArianna07

Answer by IheartArianna07 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have a 12, a 9, and a 3 y/o. the oldest and youngest have the best relation between the 3. So all family are different and so are the kids.
    sheba1000

Answer by sheba1000 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010