Getting pregnant after Mirena

I've had the IUD Mirena for about 17 months and my husband and I are talking about wanting our second baby...After I get it taken out could I get pregnant again right away? Does it hurt to get taken out? Stories or advice please

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used the mirena after my second child. I had it in for a year and then had it removed. No it didnt hurt getitng it removed, just uncomfortable. I got pregnant about a year later. We weren't trying. We kind of used the calender method as our BC. Ive known plenty of people who have used Mirena and gotten pregnant after having it removed. Good luck
    SB2010

Answer by SB2010 at 5:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I got mine taken out and 2 days later I got pregnant. It did not hurt to have it taken out at all. But, one advice I'd give you...listen to your doctor. Most doctors tell you not to try until after you have your 1st period b/c since I didn't listen, now I have a huge blood clot by my uterus and am now a high risk pregnancy.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i had mirena put n 6 weeks after my son was born n 2009 n had it tooken out april 2010 and i got pregnant n june 2010, my doctor also told me to wait till i had a normal period n i did n now i am 22 weeks n 1 day along n my pregnancy, having it put n was a bit uncomfortable 4 at least 2 weeks buthaving it tooken out i didnt notice it at all
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• For me, it hurt more getting it taken out than it did getting put in..an it didn't hurt being put in....umm, my doc told me that you can conceive pretty much immediately..a story to back it up: she said she removed a patients mirena and she can back pregnant..hen they calculated it, she had conceived within the week of habit the iud removed..although that didn't happen with us, it took us 7 months to conceive.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ok, i had my mirena in for about a yr... no period at all while i was on it. I NEVER felt anythign when they took it out, it just popped right out. about 3 months after that i got pregnant. (had to have a d&c at 6wks)
    It is highly suggested your wait at least 2 cycles before trying to concieve.
    Erzy

Answer by Erzy at 8:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Having it taken out is much easier than having it put in! They just put in forceps (like tongs), grab the string, and gently pull. No big deal! You can go home and start trying! Most women have spotting soon after removal as their body adjusts to the lack of external hormones, and tries to reset itself. I got pregnant right away after removal, and my post-removal spotting was considered my LMP. Just start trying, and let nature take its course! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2010