Do you feel...

you might have ever been a victim of Age-ism... age discrimination

as far as getting a job? Of course they won't admit to it, its illegal so they give some other canned excuse, but HR's around the USA were recently interviewed and they did admit that it happens.

I partly feel thats why I can't find work, because I know i'm more than qualified to stock a friggin shelf or use a cashier stand.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Im always too young to do the things I want. I have almost 2 years of Admin experience and graduating with my BA in the spring but they tell me because im under 25 (most cases) that they cant hire me! Aggrivating!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I know that doesn't happen where I work. We recently hired a woman in her 60's.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, it hasn't happened to me because I haven't had the need to look for one, but it does happen a lot, it sucks!

Answer by older at 6:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I am sure it happens a lot.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I'm sure it does happen, especially in today's economy. It took my mom 2 years to find a job, I have no doubt that it was partly because of her age (60).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I used to feel, when I was younger, that I was a victim or reverse age discrimination. Companies wanted people with 5-10 years worth of experience and that automatically rules out anyone, say, younger than 30.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ha... not that way anymore, Hotmama330, if your over 30 nowadays you have a harder time getting your foot in the door. Over 40 you better hope your well established and employed or you might have a hard time.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2010