Is it best to leave past friends in the past?

Found (by accident) an old friend of mine from my US Army years, but we haven't spoken but once in eons and we've totally gone our separate way and been living our own lives.

Had some problems reuniting with other people via FB and Myspace and am afraid for more disappointment. Is it better to just remember the people the way I remember them, the way they used to be and move on?

I'm tempted to say "hey", but its been a looooong time and people change so much from when they were young adults.

Having been stationed overseas we all served a purpose for each other and we needed each other more, but once state-side again that need faded. I've had contact with my other former vets, but they fizzled out very quickly beyond a quick catch up. I was disappointed given how much I'd thought about them all over the years.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• well what i beleve is that people grow and they change you realy have to take lots of time getting to no them all over agin remain freinds that way if you feel dont like certain things about the person you can remain freinds but if you feel as thowsomethings not right dont even bother it will work out just follow your heart.
    misssweetlove

Answer by misssweetlove at 7:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It is good to see them and see how their lives turned out, things change no need for disappointment.

Answer by older at 7:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• People will come into your life for a season and for a reason. And others will stay forever. It's hard to determine sometimes who was your best friend 15 years ago vs your best friend of 15 years. It is a different relationship. And, women find it very hard to break off friendships with other women. We're told to " be nice" since we are little girls. Being nice doesn't always make you happier in life.
    Determine if you really need the friendship or if you are just being nice, and move forward. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It could be they feel the same way you do. Stirring up relationships you had in the past and putting in the present doesn't always work out for everybody. I believe that some things should be left in the past.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think my lack of current friendships makes me veer towards my past ones. An online correspondence seems better than none at all, but I've had bad or 'going-nowhere' experiences so far with almost everyone I've reconnected with.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2010