Do you get disappointed when...

someone you've been thinking about for a long time (an old friend from a long time ago, a past life as it were) reappears in your life and seems only half-hearted interested in seeing you?

We caught up briefly and then they showed no interest in talking to me after that. Someone who used to be one of my dearest buds way back. Made me sad, but I didn't badger them and let them go again. They didn't even seem to notice I was gone .

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes I would be disappointed
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 12:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Some people are too busy to notice. I am not a very good friend. I am so busy with family, school, and work that I just don't remember to make time for friends. A whole year will go by sometimes before I realize I need to call somebody. So my message to you is...don't take it personally, they may have things going on and not be meaning to be "gone".
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, I know exactly what you mean, OP. I just figure that maybe I'm more nostalgic than most others.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• People change, so I'm not surprised when I meet someone from my past and it isn't the way it was before. It may make me a little sad for a minute - but if we really had this amazing friendship it would still be the same after years, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No.
    Most people do not realize when they are offending someone, or hurting other's feelings. As with you, I'm sure you have hurt someone's feelings and not realized it either. Try not to think they did it on purpose, and try not to think your are less now because of it. You may never really know exactly why this happened. You simply do not know what all in life causes them to retract from you.
    I can only offer what happened to me, one of my closest friends married a very controlling man. I thought for years that she was the one not wanting to go out, not wanting to keep in touch, when it was her husband erasing phone calls and throwing letters away. I never would have guessed he was the problem. Anyway, after awhile I just had to realize He was Her husband and that was it. I haven't heard from her since I quit contacting her.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• people do tend to move on and not cling to the past, as much, I've noticed. I'm a bit of a sap when it comes to my past and reliving old times. I'm a minority there. I will attribute part of that due to things not having gone that great in my life since then.

We tend to think of our happiest times when the present isn't that fulfilling. imho
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2010