Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 16 year old daughter is living with her aunt,i want to know what are my right's as her mother when it come's to her welfare

Answer Question
Tracy B.

Asked by Tracy B. at 7:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • If the Aunt doesn't have custody you still have all the rights. If the Aunt does have custody then you have already given up your rights and thus have none.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • Did you sign away your rights as her mother? If you did not, then you have all your rights as her mother. Doesn't matter who she is living with, what matters is who is her LEGAL GUARDIAN!

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • It may depend on your state's laws. What you can do is call your local public defender's office or your county attorney's office and ask them what the law states for your jurisdiction. You can ask annoymously if tha't what you choose. Generally, I would think that if she is there against your wishes, she would qualify as a runaway, and you could bring her home with legal help. But you should ask someone who knows the law where you live.

    Answer by NannyB. at 7:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • If you haven't signed your rights away, you have all the rights, unless she was taken from you by a court of law.

    Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • It depends who has LEGAL CUSTODY. If the aunt does, you would have to go back to court to get custody/guardianship. If you still have custody then why is your daughter not with you? Call an attorney in your state to get the most accurate information.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • if you haven't signed away rights and they haven't been taken from you them you still have all the say.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

  • I am sorry, in our and most states 16 is legal. It sucks but it is.

    Answer by rosetoes at 3:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

  • You have ALL the rights!!!! Is your daughter rebelling? Her aunt should not let her stay there permanently. You two need to work on your relationship. Perhaps counseling will help???? Best of luck Hon, I am sure it hurts! :((

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.