How do I extinguish this behaviour?

How do you stop the 'miss know it all' attitude?? I have a 12 yo dd. I get 'I know Mom' when of course she doesn't, moaning, groaning, whining, talking under her breath when she is reprimanded, corrected, ANYTHING. Back talk galore!! We try taking away playing after school or whenever, her phone, all electronics including TV. Wonder if taking it away for more than a week would work. It all works but doesn't STOP it. Need a way to extinguish it?????!!!!!!

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• she's 12. this nightmare is only begining. prayers for patience helps
    GRANNYDONNA

Answer by GRANNYDONNA at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Does she get an allowance? If she does - start an "I know" Jar......same as a swear jar, only she has to pay into it when she rolls her eyes, sighs, and says "I know".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Yes, mom it gets worse, it is a phase that you or anyone will be able to make disappear!

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• However you have dealt with disrespect up until this point in her life needs to be multiplied, because she apparently has not got it yet. Disrespect of parents is a key issue in the process and should not be tolerated. Many parents have tolerated it in toddlers and in the elementary years, thinking it was only a phase. Then when the children hit the preteen and teen years, it becomes a problem. The truth is that disrespect for parental authority is a problem at any age and it must be dealt with quickly and severely. So whatever you've done in the past to counteract this needs to be stepped up several levels. Else your life is going to be pretty miserable for the next 6-8 years. It was at this age that I turned a lot of the dealing with disrespect of me over to Daddy, who handled it quickly and well. Some offenses became twice punishable. I handled it. It was reported to him, and then he handled it. It worked for us!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We have had a back talk jar for years. It works here. They get a warning and if we are all being smart alecs then it doesn't count. If they are back talking they pay us a nickel a comment. If they are really mouthy it goes up to a quarter. After about 4 years I might have a couple of dollars at most from 2 kids, my 3rd hasn't gotten there yet. For my kids it works. They settle in really quickly once we fine them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• She's 12. It's just beginning. It will end when she's dead and not a minute before.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My kids are too young for that YET....but I love the idea of a back talk jar....or and "I know mom" jar lol
    IheartArianna07

Answer by IheartArianna07 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Mine is 9 and you all are saying it gets worse. Say it ain't so.
    sheba1000

Answer by sheba1000 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2010