free will/destiny question

now i know god gave us free will. but i believe some things are predestined, we just choose the roads that get us to taht destination. "the journey is what teaches us, not the destination...thats from some book lol" what do you think of this? in other words, i was destined to have seraphim my daughter..but i choose the roads taht led that to happening and how/when it happened in my opinion.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that will and karma work hand in hand. It is not one or the other. Karma orchestrates the opportunities I need, and I take it from there.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I personally believe we have free will but God knows which path we are going to choose. For example, when we go to McDonalds my son has free will to chose whatever he wants BUT I know he is going to choose the hamburger happymeal with apple dippers and Poweraid.
    Heidi2512

Answer by Heidi2512 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I think you're right. I think we have a few pre-planted seeds that we will encounter along our life path - like the man we will marry, the amount of children we will have, whether we will have some disease, where we will live, etc. But I think the rest of it is up to us, how we handle those experiences is what helps us to grow spiritually.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• This also goes along with that saying. GOD DOESN'T GIVE US ANYTHING WE CANT HANDLE. But then I think about that saying, becuase, what about all those people who kill themselves because they cant handle life. If God knows whats going to happen, then why does he give THOSE people things they obviosly can,t handle?
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• well for the hardships maybe they CAN handle it but its tough..that which does not killm e only makes me stronger...and if they pushed thru it, they would wind up stronger ppl.
    i had a bit of a rough upbringing and i was depressed but i pushed thru it, and cause of that its made me really strong...a lil tainted but strong.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Free will is nothing but an illusion. Behavior is everything a person does or says. All Behavior is learned. The choices and decisions you make today are a result of the things you learned yesterday. You may think you have free will, but it's just a mirage.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• LOL, I have no idea. In religion some things are just a mystery, and I leave things like free will vs. destiny alone, contemplating those two really doesn't add any depth or reason to my spirituality, so I leave it be and just enjoy the journey as it unfolds. Now as far as Karma goes, I fully understand , am aware and cautious of the causes and effects of Karma as taught by Buddha, (religiously speaking in Buddhist terms)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 11:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i dont believe in destiny cause if that were true than some spiteful greater being purposely chose my daughter to be sexually abused by a relative, than that same spiteful, hateful being chose some children to be neglected, abused, abandoned and born addicted to who knows what, so no there is no such thing as destiny
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• this is all going to depend on your quantum physics beliefs :) some believe that all time happens at once. If you go with this theory, as soon as you make a decision the rest of your actions are mapped out at that moment based on it. You make another decision, it's remapped.

I believe of it more as "If I continue like this I will end up at X"
    Like on a road map...you make a left you end up in one place, make a right you end up in another. Those 2 places are there as always but you make the decision which one to go to (even if you don't know where the road leads yet)

did that make any sense? LOL
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• as for the negative comment above. i understand that is hard..i went thru things of that nature with myself, not my adughter but myself. but when it comes down to it...that was not something god or whatever you believe in said hey im going to make this happen....anyonew ho commits things like that towards children are evil, corrupt ppl that disgust me. that is nothing more than an evil person coming into try and fuck up everything and gives in to their own disgusting wants without questioning how completely wrong it is and the harm it does. i highly disagree when ppl say well why did god give me this or why didnt he stop this. living life is not about relying on him for EVERYTHING and bein glazy. its about finding his strength and love to get it done yourself....unfortunately th eir are evil ppl. and he deserves a punishment like no other
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2008