Your kid suddenly comes home hating reading.. what do you do?

My son has liked reading since he was LITTLE..I read to him alot, grandpa read to him, Daddy read to him.. WE ALL ENCOURAGED READING..BECAUSE WE ALL LOVE TO READ.. We wanted him to..

Then from out of no where.. he comes home and says reading is no fun, reading is stupid, and Reading is not gonna lead him anywhere(I have always told him he could take mini adventures in books.. fly off to any destination...)

I am sure it was some stupid kid.. saying something.. I am not positive but I assume.. BUT WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT??

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 8:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hopefully it's just a phase, kids at that age change their minds about things all the time. Perhaps take him to the library and let him pick out what interests him.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Just keep encouraging him to do it, get him books that interest him and keep at it. A lot of times they don't like doing it because it takes time away from play or other things, just keep encouraging him and praise , lots of praise for it.

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• talk to his teacher...i would guess (depending on his age)...they probably read aloud in his class. He maybe got nervous and slipped up on some words and kids may have laughed or something. I would just tell the teacher not to call on him to read until he gets over this
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Talk to him about it. Don't jump to conclusions. It could be that he's seeing other kids are better readers then he is and it's making him feel self conscience. It's most likely within himself that's causing him to hate reading and not an outside influence. After talking with him you should talk to his teacher. Seeing if she's noticed anything that would lead to this behavior.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think you've got some great suggestions here. First, dig around and why find out what changed his mind. Don't assume. Maybe it was some stupid kid staying dumb things. BUT, maybe it's being 'forced' to read grade level materials when he's an above grade level reader or maybe it's the process of reading text books that don't engage him or maybe he read allowed and struggled over a word that left him flustered, etc. Find out what it was and then fix the root of the problem not the symptom.

Second, eyes checked wouldn't be bad problem. My DD wasn't an enthusiastic reader until we got her glasses. Now she is glued to her books. She simply couldn't see well enough before to make it any fun for her. That's not a blanket "it'll work with all kids" or "all non-excited readers need glasses" it's just a 'maybe it is..."

3rd, offer him a chance to explore different kinds of reading materials.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would start off by asking him why he feels that way. The best thing you can do to help him love reading is let him choose materials to read. Take him to the library and book store and see what he's interested in. Maybe what he's being asked to read at school is too easy or too hard or maybe it's just not topics or genres he likes.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Also, keep in mind if this was a sudden change of heart it could be temporary. If something happened on that day he might have felt that way for the moment. It doesn't necessarily mean the way he feels about reading has really changed.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Don't jump to conclusions. Sure, this could be the influence of another child, but it could also be a reading or comprehension difficulty. Many people think their kids are "good readers" only to learn that the child doesn't understand what they are reading or what it means. It could be that the material is more difficult and he is feeling frustrated, it could mean that he's more interested in other things right now, or it could mean that he's having trouble with his vision. There are so many things that could be a part of these new feelings!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I'd have his eyes checked first. Then if that was ok I'd ask the teacher if he was made to read aloud in class. A lot of kids hate that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• just keep doing what you have been doing. And tell him to feel sorry for the kids that don't read, they never get to see how much fun it can be and these kids will get jealous and say dumb things. Just tell him you understand words people say can hurt, but you have to learn to understand that kids that say mean things are not nice people and keep away from them.
    And go to the book store and buy him a book, make it a fun day.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010