do you microwave formula?

i realize some of you may not because of it potentially getting too hot but does it cut down on any of the nutrition?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did, and it does not reduce the nutritional values. I would microwave for 20 seconds, then swirl the formula around in the bottle to get rid of any hot spots. It worked fine for me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• At first I microwaved the water and then added the formula which is what I would suggest. But after a couple months I just gave my son formula at room tempurature. I have well water so I always bought the jugs of nursery water for him and I'd leave the jug on the counter.
    LindsayLL2010

Answer by LindsayLL2010 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't think so. We always gave our son his at room temp. When we were heating it we did so by sitting the bottle in a mug of hot water for 2-3 min. Once he was about 4 months old or so it was almost always room temp.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I use to use the microwave.... just shake the bottle afterwards to get rid of the hot spots.
    christinato

Answer by christinato at 9:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• actually, I'm theory it does. Heat and sunlight greatly affect nutrients like vitamin c and a. Not so much anyothers, but those are 2 important ones none the less. Vitamin c for iron absorbtion especially.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 9:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I always used a bowl or glass measuring cup to heat up some water, then I put the bottle of formula (or expressed milk) in the cup of water to warm it up.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I did if I had to. But I used powder mostly, so I would just add warm tap water
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I microwaved my oldest dd's formula till she was about 4 mos old and just shook it to make sure there were no hot spots but dd # 2 never had a bottle and now ds gets a bottle while I am at work and they just heat it in water off the stove not really sure about the nutrient part they are all healthy monsters now except ds he's only 10 wks he's got a little while befor being a montster lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• NO! We also did room temp.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 10:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I did at first but around 4 months I just gave it to him room temp. He liked it better that way .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 11:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2010