resignation letter help..

I have quit a job and need to write a resignation letter, i quit without a 2 weeks notice because my boss has treated me like shit for the past 3 years and i have put up with it for too long! i would like to tell her she is the reason i quit, but do not have the guts, and i must also state that i am not giving a notice in the letter. I would like to sound as professional as possible. what should i write?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd be careful about telling her why you quit if it's personal against her. She may retaliate when someone calls for a reference since you worked there so long. Sounding like a disgruntled former employee can bite you in the behind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• You are not obligated to tell them why? I wouldn't do the letter unless they ask for it,

This letter serves as notice that I resign my position effective immediately.

One line is more then sufficent they just need your signature....

Nothing more.
    christinato

Answer by christinato at 9:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I completely agree with anon. Don't burn your bridges. Simply state that you appreciate the opportunity to have worked there for the last 3 years but that your circumstances have changed (or whatever vague reason you'd like to give for moving on). Keep it simple and professional. You'll likely need her for a reference. And really, even if she was a bitch, in this economy we should all at least try to be grateful for our jobs. Having an attitude of gratitude instead of anger will help you keep your chin up. Good luck with everything.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Vicesix I think she will have a hard time getting a reference from a job that she didn't give notice to. If you leave the same day I would have a hard time giving a good reference. Regardless of what happen she is leaving her employer high and dry. So you stick it out for the two weeks (maybe they ask you to leave before) or your don't ask for a reference. You will need to list them as an employer that is bad enough. Tread lightly.

christinato

Answer by christinato at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you've already quit, why write a letter? You already were unprofessional, and telling your boss it was her fault is just making you out to look worst. Don't push your luck. You might not get a good reference from this place if you do.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• A resignation letter should be very simple and straight to the point.  Nothing in that letter that can come back to haunt you EVER!  Just say this:

Effective Friday, _______________, I will be resigning as ___________________________.  This resignation in no way reflects any negativity towards__________________________________.

That's it.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I like Christinato's better than m-avi's  No point in putting a lie down on paper. If HR asks in an exist interview feel free to say that the boss created a hostile working environment, but don't tell the boss directly and don't put it down on paper.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010