• In the Spotlight:

Why do some((most?)) Mexicans seem to throw away their toilet paper instead of flushing it?

I've noticed that nearly all the ones I know toss instead of flush. Was just curious why. Idk whether this goes under beliefs or health...hmm....eenie meenie minie...mo.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Strange, I didn't know they did.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 9:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I have some non-Mexican friends who do the same due to an old septic tank.. Maybe its something some for sewage reasons

pinkbraclets

Answer by pinkbraclets at 9:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Gross. Never knew that. Wish I still didn't.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• maybe they are afraid it will contaminate the water
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ..lol..but then they wouldnt shit in the toilet either. .my ex said when he was building houses that they wouldnt go to the pot..they would actually take a dump in the corner of the house or the woods instead of walking to the corner station or using the outhouse
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Oh yea...my finace is Mexican and his whole family does including him and its gross. I wanna tell him we don't do that over here but I don't want to hurt his feelings...also...and here is the grossest...if there isn't a garbage pail in the restroom, he will walk with his poopoo paper into the kitchen or bedroom to throw it away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Well I know that puerto Rico the toilet systems can't handle the toilet paper. It gets all backed up and clogged if you flush with toilet paper in the toiltet. So in PR you have to throw out the toilet paper instead of flushing it.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I agree it must be a septic problem.

My mom does that with one of her bathrooms. There is a problem with the toilet and if she flushes a lot of paper down it, it clogs up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It could be septically related...but I've observed this as a whole of their culture. Its not just him, most of my friends and even some faily members ((my brothers wife)) does this. And these aren't people born in Mexico, these are people been here forever.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Not just the Mexican and Puerto Rican septic systems are not made for toilet paper, but a host of Asian countries as well... It is far less nasty to throw your used papers into the garbage can than risk the entire block's waste to overflow onto your bathroom floor.

O.P. A polite note in a few languages on top of your covered bathroom trash can will alert people to flush their t.p. instead of tossing it AT YOUR HOUSE.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010