Gymnastics at 2, should I try?

My daughter is very flexible, a little more then most kids. It even caused her to not be able to crawl and to not walk until 16 months of age. But now she is running around trying to tumble and loves dancing. I put a tutu on her and she spins around. Its very cute. There is a gymnastic class opening now, and I have a few days to register. Its pretty cheap 36$ for 6 weeks. But I have to get an adult membership too its the YWCA. But thats 22$.
Im still not sure of how great she will be at sitting still and paying attention. But I think she needs this for many reasons.
I guess Im looking for advice from other parents who have done this, or tried.
Its like a "mommy and me" kind of class. And next year if she can, its on her own.
Oh and what do they have to wear to gymnastics.

cherryzz08

Asked by cherryzz08 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 4 and goes to gymnastics and she started dance at 3. They all realized that kids have shot attention spans. They are not expected to do much it is more fun and they work on the very basic beginning skills. Studio classes are usually not that much either. We pay 40 a month for dance and 69 for 5 weeks of gymnastics but they run through a whole semester like school.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 9:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you can find a tumbling class that will take her I don't see a problem with it. My daughter did tumbling to start and went to Gymnastics and then to cheer.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My dd started gymnastics at 2 and it was a big cluster f*@k!! She was the only child that was potty trained, all the other kids stood around and cried, and she was the only one doing her stations! Looking back, I would have waited until 4 or so...It was a waste of money!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 10:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If it's a mom and me class and the gym is sticking with developmentally appropriate activities, then go for it! There are some programs that push little bodies ahead before their developing limbs and whatnot should be - but gyms that provide age appropriate exercises and remain mindful of individual abilities are great.

My DD did a tumbling-ish Mom and Me class at 2. At 3 she asked to try dance (not a big fan.) At 4 she began an independent gymnastics class. She's now 6 (just turned in Sept) and still going strong with gymnastics. She LOVES it. Her coach is a gem that gives the girls only what they can physically handle and not more. She encourages them, challenges them but keeps their developing bodies and abilities in mind as they go along.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i have my son in tiny tumblers at the YMCA, he will be 2 this weekend. Its geared towards his age and they do great. He learned to do a summersault the first week. I don't think you have to have a membership to the Y to take there classes, it just cost like 5 or 10 more for the class if your not a member. We are not members and it was 22 for 4 weeks. I think that would be the way to start, its fun for the kiddos :)
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 10:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010