Can a toddler like to be read too much?

My 14 month old wants to be read to most of the day. I know it's good for her but it seems a bit excessive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, I'd go with it! It's great for her little mind. Let her fill up on it as much as she wants...she may develop a lifelong love of reading beginning now, and what a GREAT hobby to have.
    Also, she could just be going through a phase so just relax, ride it out, and enjoy reading to her/with her!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• you can use reading to introduce active play and dramatic play and to make crafts and cook. Reading can be part of just about everything and that way she is reading or being read to and doing something else.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• My son has always gone through spurts of Obsession over something, there was a month when he was younger we HAD to vaccum 25 times a day, then it went to using the Duster, then he went through a phase all he wanted to play with was cars.. i can't get my son to sit still for book reading so I would LOVE this problem, But No, you can't read to your child TOO much...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Reading opens up so much for them. Be sure that you are reading stories about the world as well as fiction. Your little one may be relishing the closeness that she gets when you read to her. I can't imagine that it would be too much as long as she is getting enough activity physically. Sitting and reading and then sitting and watching TV, for example, would be too much. And be sure that she is actively involved in the reading, not just listening passively. Ask her to make the animal sounds, to finish the sentences that you are reading, to point to things on the pages- keep her mind active. I think it is wonderful that she enjoys the reading time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No, it's not possible to like to be read to too much. My daughter is 25 months and has some of her books memorized because I read them to her so much.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Reading is one of the best things you can do with and for your child. I read to my son in the womb and ever since. He is 3.5 and loves all and any book he can find for me to read to him. If I am busy, he just opens one up and makes up the story to fit the pictures. He can not read yet, but he is extremely smart. Good for you for doing this with your child, bc it is so important for their intellect and your bonding time. :)
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• There is no such thing as too much reading. Reading with your child encourages bonding between you, language development and pre-reading skills that turn into great reading. Children that are read to often typically have a broader vocabulary beyond age-level expectations. They may also read early or reach a proficiency level faster. Not only that, but it could potentially be the start of a passion for the written language which is an amazing gift to give anyone. Some studies indicate that individuals that keep learning through activities like reading, puzzles, etc can reduce the risk of dementia as they get older. :) Embrace the book and encourage her joy.

I have two kids that adored being read to as toddlers. They both turned into early self-readers. (My oldest was 2 when he could read independently. My DD was 3.) Today at 8 and 6 they still love reading and their grades show the benefits of it!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• No, but I would get sick of reading to them. I would invest in some booker toys so she can fills this need. But it also could be that she has found this to be a nice way to get your attention. Maybe ask her if she wants to play with x toy with you or sit her in high chair or booster while you are cooking or doing dishes and talk to her about stuff, let her color or use finger paint.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my son LOVES to read. I swear if he could read all day then he would. He doesnt actually read but he loves lookin at books and pretending to read or being read to. I dont think a toddler can read too much.

they also go threw obessive stages. My son has just exited the vaccuming 50 times a day stage haha.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:58 PM on Nov. 19, 2010