i need help coming up with a dish for thanksgiving...tried to use allrecipes.com but it wasnt much help...

it has to be DAIRY free and FAT free (or less than 1 gram per serving)...i want to use shrimp and veggies and pasta....any ideas?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• you can toss fresh veggies(zucchini, red pepper, onion, broccoli) and shrimp with wheat pasta in garlic, salt, pepper and a little olive oil. ??? That's really food. I usually add tofu not shrimp but it would work either way I'm sure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think that you have a good start with shrimp, veggies and pasta. All you need now is something to pull it all together. Look at the canned soups, some of them are low fat, and study the labels about dairy. Or how about sauteing the veggies with some onion, add the shrimp and saute until just cooked, add a jar of fat-free spaghetti sauce and serve over the pasta.

Answer by Bmat at 9:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• have you check some vegan sites? You could look up recipes there and add shrimp...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• try cooks.com. they're pretty good at covering a lot of topics.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• cook each thing seperately - when the pasta is done put it in a bowl of cold water, cool the shrimp, same with the veggies unless they are fresh and you prefer them raw. toss in a bowl with italian dressing, use low-fat or fat free if regular has too much fat per serving. voila, a nice shrimp veggie pasta salad.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I use these ingredients in one of my meals all the time. It's a HUGE hit in our house. I saute the shrimp in butter and fresh lemon juice. But, you can use any one of the 100's of butter subs. Or even butter flavored Pam. I add a little chopped garlic and salt & pepper for a little flavor. I steam the veggies. Cook the pasta and drain. Toss the pasta and steamed veggies together. Plate the pasta/veggie mix and top with sauted shrimp and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. I serve with texas garlic toast but you can use something else if you prefer. I also serve this with a reisling wine. (Sometimes, if I'm serving with wine, I add a splash of the wine to the shrimp while cooking them).
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Do a test run, to get a feel for how much you need to make:

KALE WITH SAUTEED APPLE AND ONION

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 15 min
    1 Apple
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch wedges
    1/4 teaspoon curry powder
    1 lb kale, tough stems and ribs removed and leaves coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup water

Peel, quarter, and core apple, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges. Heat oil in a 5-quart pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add apple and curry powder and sauté, stirring, until apple is almost tender, about 2 minutes. Add kale and water and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2010