my 1 year old chewed on an engorged tick. It may have been a deer tick.

there was blood all over his face, from the cats blood that the tick had sucked out. So not only did he get cat's blood in his system, he also got whatever juice from the tick as well. Gross!!! Doc said to look for fever, but doesnt it take a long time sometimes to get symptoms from lyme disease? Wanted second opinion but other docs offices around here won't give one.

bessypants

Asked by bessypants at 9:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• eww! how in the world did he get a tick? bleh i just got the "heebie jeebies"...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• OHH I hope he is alright. My cousin got lyme disease from a tik, but he is OK now. I hope you don't have to go through that at all.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I don't know if he can get lyme's from ingesting the tick. The bacteria has to get right into the blood stream. I would think maybe the stomach acids and saliva would kill the bacterium? Just my guess.

Anyway, you should watch for flu symptoms in your son. If he starts getting the flu in the next couple days, take him to the doc and tell them you think it could be lyme's. He probably won't develop the rash because the tick didn't break his skin.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I know that feeling. I found my 1 year old playing with the dog's poop one day. Normally my dog never has accidents in the house but I guess I was running late and forgot to take him out. I freaked out because he had it all over himself and on his hands and of course had his hands in his mouth....bleck...anyway, I called the pediatrician and they said the same thing as you were told. Watch for 48 hrs for fever. He was/is fine. Hope all is well with your son. I think the way you get Lyme disease from a tick is from the actual bite and then it gets into your blood stream...so as long as he didn't eat the tick itself I would guess he'd be ok. Maybe you can make an appt with your dr and talk to them in person. Might at least ease your mind a little.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Still thinking about this question. Did you ask your doc if there is any concern if your son swallowed tick eggs?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Oh that is really gross. Maybe the grossest thing I've heard in a while. Poor baby. I hope he's OK!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• To answer shanna84. I didnt ask about tick eggs??Could this affect him differently? I have read as well that a tick has to go through a process to produce the chemical which it would release into your blood stream. But what if the tick is already engorged. Did that chemical already develop. And when my son, not to gross you out further, was sucking it to death, did that chemical get released into him. If my son has no sores in his mouth then hopefully it didnt get into his bloodstream. If it makes it to the stomach, hopefully those organizms would die. And the cat's blood which was in the tick?My cat is a hunter and brings animals home constantly,so who knows what he had runnning through his system. I just hate to find out years from now that he developed something from this. Hopefully it will all be well.
    bessypants

Comment by bessypants (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• to comment on syphons message: my sons tick issue occured on tues and he grabbed that tick in a matter of seconds. Then yesterday He smelled awful, and I saw my dogs poop all over his hands. i have no idea if he ate it, but i didnt see it on his face...wow. again, this happened in seconds and I dont allow the dog in this room, but he snuck in for like 2 minutes and obviousy left something. Sounds like I dont watch my kid. oh my. I have 2 older girls and they never were as wild as he is. =)
    bessypants

Comment by bessypants (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Did you see the tick?
    A deer tick is almost microscopic, basically looks like a dot and very hard to see. If you could see the tick, my guess is it wasn't a deer tick.
    I hope he's ok!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010