What is wrong with my baby?

There is something weird about my daughter. When my daughter was about 2 or 3 months old she started hitting herself. She would punch herself in the face when there seemed to be no reason for her to do it. I observed her for a few months to see if there was some sort of a trigger as to when she would hit herself, and I couldn't find one, but then after a few months she stopped so I figured it was a phase. Now she is 14 months old and doing it again. Now she takes blocks, her fist, or whatever she can to hit herself with it. You can tell it hurts becuase she cries like she is in pain, but she keeps doing it. The doctor claims that it is her way of getting out frustration, but I have never seen another child do this before at this age. It just doesn't seem right to me becuase she doesn't only do it when she is mad or frustrated. It seems to be for no reason. What is wrong with her? Any advice?

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 9:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be a slight form of disability. Or just a phase. It really could be anything at this age. As long as she isn't seriously hurting herself, it probably isn't cause for losing sleep. But I understand being worried. =[
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 10:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Some kids hit themselves because they don't know how to vocalize frustration or anger. Next time you take her into your doctor, talk to him about it (again). It may just be a phase.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would talk to the doctor, in the mean time start a log maybe you can see a pattern. Sometimes it is just frustration other times it can be something more.

Good luck
    christinato

Answer by christinato at 10:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I WOULD TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR
    chanchan522

Answer by chanchan522 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Can your record a "hitting incident" on your cell phone or movie camera? This way the Dr. will know if it's severe enough to warrant further attention...

What do the other grown-ups in your daughter's life think about this?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I would get another Doctors opinion on the situation. To me that doesn't seem normal but it could very well be a phase.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• my daughter is 2 and just recently when I wouldnt let her get her way she would hit her head on the wall or the floor or pull her hair...every baby has their own way of expressing anger or frustration...or it could be something elso...talk to the doctor
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 11:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I use to take care of autistic children that did that (not saying yours is autistic) but they did that because they could not verbalize what they wanted or could not express there anger other ways
    becky_barber84

Answer by becky_barber84 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Beyond the autism aspect it could be a sensory processing problem, that maybe she needs more sensory input. Is she talking? Does she otherwise point to things and let you know what she wants? Is she affectionate with you and enjoy being with kids? I guess there are a lot of things that we don't know from this that would help us to give you better advice. I find it strange that she was physically capable of intentionally hitting herself at just a couple of months old, when she could not even sit up on her own or anything. Do you have a video of that? because that would be something to show the doctor along with what is going on now. Other than that I can tell you it is not unusal for kids to hit themselves, espeically at this age, so it is probably nothing, you need to look at the whole picture though and ask yourself if you think there is anything else going on. To eb continued...
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• (Cont.) If this is your first child I highly suggest bypassing your child's pedi for now and getting some screening for developmental delays done through the school district or head start (if you financially qualify) in your area. WIC can give you valuable informationon where to get help, as can your county social services office, whether or not you qualiify for those things. You can also call your local elementary school and tell the secretary that you need information on Early intervention and early intervention screening because you are concerned and she can direct you to who you need to talk with as well. There is probably also a follow allong or help me grow program you can find in your area by googling "help me grow program" or "follow along program" and your state.
    These people must come to your home and evaluate your child if you request it and must finish the evaluation in a specific time frame. (CONT)..
    Rubia653

Answer by Rubia653 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010