How much is too to give your dog table scraps?

I give my dogs table scrapes after our dinner whatever is left over I mixed it with their dog food they seem to love it sometimes when I just give them just the dog food they look at me as if saying where's the good stuff so what I do I just give them dog food along with table scrapes my dogs look good and they are weighing their weight.
Thank you ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2010 in Pets

• it is not healthy for your dogs to eat people food. get them a good quality dog food instead.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you do want to give them human food, raw meat is a much better thing for them to eat than cooked and seasoned table scraps.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Never. They will get overweight and unhealthy. Plus they'll learn to expect it which you can see has already happened. And that annoying in itself.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I think you really have to be careful about giving dogs human food/table scraps except for maybe rice or boiled chicken. Their bodies aren't able to digest food like ours is and many times you may notice the dog will suffer from diarrhea or other side effects. The best thing to do is to find a good dog food and stick to it. After a while, they'll get used to not getting table scraps and not give you those puppy dog eyes when they look at their bowl.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 10:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• We have 3 large dogs, and they have table MANNERS.... They don't get ANYTHING from the table.. It's not healthy for them, and annoying for the people at the table! We also feed them(their dry food) right before we sit down so they are eating while we are, and not walking around the table...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• ANY is too much to give to dogs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It sounds to me that your dog is used to the extra "flavoring" to eat and that is okay if you don't mind doing it every night. I would just advise to keep scraps a very small percentage of the dog's diet compared to the dog food, and second that you know what food you need to definitely avoid in the scraps. Grapes, raisins, onions, citrus, tomatoes, and cooked bones...leave these things out of the dish. Meats, broths and other veggies, well those are all just fine for fido!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Dogs have lived with people for thousands upon thousands of years. We've only had 'dog' food for less than 100 years. We have only know what nutrition dogs needed for less than 70.
    Food isn't split into 'human' and 'dog'. There are things that are poisonous to dogs, just like there are things that are poisonous to people.

As long as you don't feed them anything that's poisonous, they'll be fine. If you're okay with them wanting scraps, then it's not a problem. Some people are bothered by hat, some aren't.

As long as they're healthy and not loosing / gaining too much weight, they're fine.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• i agree with piskie
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• you shouldent at all they have to much salt in them..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:11 AM on Nov. 20, 2010